News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 22, 2024, 10:55:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 59242 times)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
Sorry that I haven't posted in a while. Things have been coming along nicely. If all goes according to plan, then my Eagle will finally be road worthy after sitting in my driveway for about 1 year & 5 months. Have done lots of things to it. Me and my dad have installed an all new braking system (minus the booster) and plan on replacing the front rotors, which we feel is the cause of my cars braking problem. We also installed a new starter and distributor and new battery cables. We also have gotten the carburetor tuned to the point where it will idle under 1k RPM. I also have started hoarding whatever spare parts I can get my hands on and/or afford. I've taken a bunch of pictures that are below.

What my engine bay currently looks like.

Got the grill from a 1982 AMC Spirit GT installed. It looks great.

Finally found a cargo cover in my color. One side has been painted black but I'll repaint it the original honey tan color someday.

Got a rear speaker cover installed to replace my original broken one, which I think I'll be able to fix. Have been toying with the idea of putting in some 80's era aftermarket speakers (2 Sony brands and two NOS Jensen brands), but that is for another day.

Here is what spare AMC parts I have been able to acquire for my Eagle. I have no need for the 4WD switch, the rear hatch seal (from a 79 Spirit AMX), and the steering wheel, so if anyone needs them message me.

I also went to a local junkyard and pulled the 4.0 head, rocker arm cover, and exhaust manifold from a 92 Jeep engine block for a future 4.0 head swap. Also got the intake manifold to save the time of removing it there, which I don't need for the swap. Does anyone need it?

Also got the overhead console from a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited to install in my car. Also got the mounting bracket, the plug and temperature sensor so I can have the compass and the outside temperature from the Jeep as well.

Have also amassed quite a collection of AMC emblems for spares and/or for my personal emblem collection.

The emblem at the very top is NOS.

Also got a spare horn button.

Here are the other AMC emblems I have.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
How's it going Joe?  Looking forward to the car show at A&P again this year.  Hopefully this time I will be able to get there early and register.  Also hope you are happy with the way the repairs I did turned out.  I will be happy to repair your Carter carb for free.  This way if you decide to use it you can just install it without any worries of it running bad.  I'm all about the Carter great carburetors IMO.  Take care

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »
Do you still have the NOS AMC emblem? I'd be interested if so.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2014, 08:10:10 AM »
The OP hasn't logged on in about 8 months, so you may want to try to contact him directly.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
Well, I finally made it here. I've been on the AMC EVO site since the nest went down and I was having trouble remembering my password for my old nest account. Since my last official post, the car has gotten to the point where I can drive it, legally and safely. It also has new tires, new shocks, and I got a full tan cargo cover. It also failed inspection with a 2741 HC count and we later found out that the reason was there were metal shavings in the MC from when the jets were installed and a little metal ball (the correct name escapes me) inside the MC wasn't even there, allowing who knows how much gas being pumped in. It has since passed with a 42 HC count after having TwoEaglesForMe go through it.

I still have the steering wheel and Spirit AMX hatch seal if anyone is interested. No longer have the horn button. I have also taken it on some good moderately long drives. One was to South NJ to meet my Scout Troop where they were camping and the other was to see Drew University (where I plan to transfer to if finances allow it) in Northern Jersey. Both times it ran great and 9 out of 10 times it will start on the first try after pushing the gas pedal down once. There are still things that need to be done, like the headliner, installing the overhead console, a good coat of wax, and really rubbing in some good leather conditioner, but I can drive it at least. The Englishtown Swap Meet at Raceway Park is this weekend so hopefully this time around I'll find something Eagle or AMC related that I can use.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
Glad you made it back man! Do you still have that good looking extra AMC logo with the flag on it?

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »
Do you mean the NOS one, yes. I wasn't really planning on selling it. I plan on upgrading my hatch to one with a wiper and defroster and plan on putting the emblem on it when the time comes. I bought it on the bay (can I say the real name here or not?) from a seller that I think was a member on the nest and I think is on the EVO. Eddiestakes I think his username is. Every time I search "AMC Eagle" there is one listed for sale. Isn't there also a company that actually has reproductions of them?

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »
Yes, you can say eBay and Craigslist and no ban hammer will come crashing down!

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2014, 11:48:34 PM »
Great! I also just found a different seller on ebay that has some NOS AMC emblems for sale. They are actually cheaper than what I paid for mine. There are 6 left so go for it!  :)

Can I post links as well?

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
Link it up!!

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2014, 08:14:42 AM »
Sweet! Here it is. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141166605125?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think that I have purchased from this seller before. No problems and I actually think that she is based in Kenosha, WI.

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Joe I am glad you gave me the chance to help you out.  Now I am gonna help you some more.  I found some wheels to go on my 86 parts car so you can have the aluminum Grand Cherokee wheels that are on there for FREE.  I will get them off in the next couple days.  The wheels are FREE but if you want the tires which are in pretty decent shape I will sell them for 100.  Size P-215-75-15 all terrains.  You would need new lug nuts 1/2 in. thread,  bulge acorn type.  Call me and let me know.  Greg  732 641 0478

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
That's a good deal!

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
Joe I am glad you gave me the chance to help you out.  Now I am gonna help you some more.  I found some wheels to go on my 86 parts car so you can have the aluminum Grand Cherokee wheels that are on there for FREE.  I will get them off in the next couple days.  The wheels are FREE but if you want the tires which are in pretty decent shape I will sell them for 100.  Size P-215-75-15 all terrains.  You would need new lug nuts 1/2 in. thread,  bulge acorn type.  Call me and let me know.  Greg  732 641 0478

Sorry I haven't gotten to reply yet. I have been very busy with school in recent weeks. I really don't need the tires since I already got some new tires for it. Either me or my dad will contact you by phone ASAP. Also, I saw that you got a 1980 AMC Spirit AMX. Congrats on the find! You mentioned that the interior is mint aside from the typical broken hood release cable knob. Well, guess who happens to have a hood release cable with an intact knob from a 1979 AMC Spirit AMX.  ;) Half of the mounting bracket is missing so there is only one mounting hole, but perhaps something could be made or the bracket from the other cable could be used. Anyway, since you've been a great help for us, you can have it free of charge.

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »
We def have to get together again soon when our schedules allow for it.  How's the car been running?  I just got the AMX this past week and am looking forward to getting it road and show worthy.  Also there is an Eagle wagon with a rear hatch with defroster and wiper at that yard in Jamesburg.  Much better shape than mine but missing the wiper arm.  I don't think they want much for it.  Mine is rusted out along the bottom.  I'd say go for it as they moved the car to the end of the dead pile.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk