News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 05:27:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil pan Gasket Surface Object?  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Kajjmack

• East Coast Sanctuary Owner
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
Oil pan Gasket Surface Object?
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
Ok so I had a pretty steady drip from the rear of the oil pan on my 82' SX/4. So I removed the engine to replace the oil pan gasket and discovered that the previous owner had JB Welded the oil pan on, without any gasket at all. After many hours of tapping, lifting, grinding and sanding I was able to replace the gasket and the engine. Once i started the car up I then had a steady trickle of oil out of the rear of the oil pan.  :banghead:
I have now replmoved the engine again, flipped it over and removed the oil pan to try it again.
Though the process of cleaning the surface for the new gasket I found this seemly out of place random peice of plastic on the fly wheel end of the engine. I can not trust the previous owner enough to simply accept that this is supposed to be there and I do not want to replace everything only to discover it in fact does not belong and have to take the engine out for a third time.  :help:
If it is supposed to be there should it be replaced? What is it? ???

If god drove a car it would be an eagle. A solid gold, diamond encrusted eagle with... I don't know... clouds for tires or something... but an eagle non the less.

1982 - AMC Eagle SX/4 (daily driver)
1983 - AMC Eagle SX/4 (project)
1985 - AMC Eagle Sport Wagon (parts car)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Oil pan Gasket Surface Object?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
That is a part of a 4peice oil pan gasket. should be somthing similar on the timing cover

Manitowoc WI

Offline Kajjmack

• East Coast Sanctuary Owner
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »
That is a part of a 4peice oil pan gasket. should be somthing similar on the timing cover

Ok so I should remove it sense i have a one piece gasket? I would imagine it is not going to help me any with a single piece gasket.
If god drove a car it would be an eagle. A solid gold, diamond encrusted eagle with... I don't know... clouds for tires or something... but an eagle non the less.

1982 - AMC Eagle SX/4 (daily driver)
1983 - AMC Eagle SX/4 (project)
1985 - AMC Eagle Sport Wagon (parts car)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »
Yes remove it

Manitowoc WI

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
So your saying your "one piece" gasket has incorporated in it , the piece that fits in there to replace that piece your questioning on both ends of the block ?? I'm guessing you checked the rear main seal also.
Kicker is right : ) , if you have the one piece then that shouldn't be needed, but like he says should be that way on both ends............
I usually put a little extra dab of sealent in the corners where the round meets the flat pan area , or in the "crotch" of the corners......

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:18 PM »
bet that "plastic" was once a pliable piece of rubber!!!!
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:07:25 AM »
  Do yourself a favor and PLEASE change the rear main seal, or you be pulling the motor again, of course you have a good knowledge of how to do it, like a heart surgeon  LOL

The rear main seal isn't that hard to do while you have the motor out.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk