News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 05:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stock height.  (Read 3985 times)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Stock height.
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
Ok, so here is a question on height vs lift vs sag.  Does anyone know what the stock height is, like from center of hub to fender flare for instance.  As an example on an XJ Cherokee the generally accepted height is center of the hub to the flare is 17.5" in the front and 17" in the rear. That takes tire size out of the equation and allows for a comparison of stock height to how much has it sagged, and finally to how much genuine lift is accomplished with what components.

Doc

Prafeston

Re: Stock height.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 05:03:42 PM »
I don't think it's really known...I saw a post recently (And of course now I can't find it) that someone had said the stock height of the front and rear bumpers, but that is completely different when you are just talking hub to flare.

I could measure mine as I'm pretty sure it's close to stock, but I couldn't tell you how much sag is on the coils or the leaf springs after almost 30 years of driving...though with my car being pretty low miles it shouldn't have seen much sag from abuse, just a little from the weight of the vehicle over the years.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
Well, the annual shop manual editions all give a "height" of the car; but do not tell where it is measured.  So I assume it means the highest point.    Depending on year and body style, could be between 50 and 55 inches.   I have a whole set of annual manuals, so send me a request if you want me to look up your specific specs.

Also, the body section has a bumper height spec; again, different depending on year and body style.   Also says the measurement spot is from the ground to the top inner edge of the bumper, with 35 lbs of tire pressure and 8 gallons of gas in the tank, and also gives an acceptable variance of =/- one inch.   Again, send me a request if you want me to look up your specific stats.    If time allows, maybe I can put together a table of all years/models height specs.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »
If time allows, maybe I can put together a table of all years/models height specs.

That would be a great service to the nest and something that should definitely be stickied if it ever happens.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »
Like AMC of Houston indicates, it is in the TSM and also in the service spec book.  For the 1981 models, the specs are 24" for the front, 25.75" for the rear, measured as it says in AMC of Houston's post.  This is for all 1981 Eagle models.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
the stock height of my 86 wagon has been on my mind also. In one of my manuals the height is measured to the top of the roof rack. No other instructions. the center of the hub to the flare seems the most solid measuring points. maybe we should all get togeather and find out what that measurement is useing the center of hub to flare criteria.

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »
sorry hit the wrong button. ment to add find out stock height +-.  my wagon measures 15.5 front and rear useing doc65s criteria.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
I had the thought that if I was to use a floor jack to assist in duplicating this measurement "from the ground to the top inner edge of the bumper" then I could get the measurement I mentioned. However maybe I'm being dense, but I don't really understand "from the ground to the top inner edge of the bumper" where exactly would that be on the bumper. I guess I envision it at the bottom/inner surface of the top of the bumper(the bumper is basically a C, U-channel on it's side actually)

I------ <-This area...(as viewed from the side looking across the car)
I
I
I______

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
Sorta leaves you out there. Don't it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk