News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 03:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alright, finally tackling my 4.0 head swap.  (Read 9785 times)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Alright, finally tackling my 4.0 head swap.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
I also already regasketed everything on the bottom end while the car was running (with help from member tougeagle), which is another reason why I wouldn't want to use the 4.0 block. Gaskets add up!

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
No, 258 pistons can't be used in a 4.0 block, they are smaller, you would have 0 compression and lots of noise as the pistons rattled up and down the bores when you spun the starter(it would not run) If you are staying carb'ed then you absolutely can run the manual fuel pump, though putting a generic electric pump and relay on the passenger side of the engine bay in the same general area as the manual pump is now would be easy & work fine(though most E-Pump vendors recommend closer to the tank as they push much better than they suck) I believe that the header you are referring to is a Rugged Ridge, and that is a very good question as to fitment, I have an APN header here taht I bought for my ZJ but haven't replaced yet that I've been thinking about using if it'll fit, my suspicion is that it won't without some serious massaging,  the one that seems to work closest without too much work is a 87-90 Renix style 4.0 exhaust often called a "Log" style exhaust

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »
I'll give you a $100 for the crank. I'll be in Denver tomorrow evening till Friday afternoon. Are you in Fort Collins?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 01:10:20 AM »
Now there's a thought, wish I have thought of it... :)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »
I'm in the Fort Collins area, yes. I actually live up in Drake. Before I decide anything, though, any insight on my previous question of how the new crank would benefit me? Is it just dependent on the condition of the crank that's in there?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »
I'm in the Fort Collins area, yes. I actually live up in Drake. Before I decide anything, though, any insight on my previous question of how the new crank would benefit me? Is it just dependent on the condition of the crank that's in there?
The new crank can benefit you by being able to rebuild another engine while still driving your Eagle with it's current engine. It sounds to me like someone was assembling the parts to build a stroker. 258 crank and rods and 4.0 block and pistons.
If that 4.0 block is truly a machined block and depending on casting number, I may be interested in it for another $100.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:23:21 AM by eaglefreek »

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
I just purchased a brand new stainless steel exhaust manifold for 88 dollars on the evil bay. There was a bunch of the same one for sale. Its got the baffles where the stock ones usually crack. I was impressed with it and it turns out its identical to the one that my Spirit already had.

If you get that one, do not use the gasket it comes with!

When its time to put the head on I use two old 4.0 head bolts instead of buying the spacers. It works much better. I grind the hex head off and flip them upside down so that the 7/16 threads that used to be for accessories go into the block and the 1/2 threads stick up in the air. Slide the gasket down two bolts at opposite corners, align perfectly, then slide the head down the two modified bolts perfectly into place. It's a nightmare to do it any other way because you can't slide it without misaligning the gasket.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
The casting # on the block is 53008405.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »
The casting # on the block is 53008405.
That would be a 91-95 block.Let me know what you decide to do.

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
PM sent.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
I just purchased a brand new stainless steel exhaust manifold for 88 dollars on the evil bay. There was a bunch of the same one for sale. Its got the baffles where the stock ones usually crack. I was impressed with it and it turns out its identical to the one that my Spirit already had.

If you get that one, do not use the gasket it comes with!

When its time to put the head on I use two old 4.0 head bolts instead of buying the spacers. It works much better. I grind the hex head off and flip them upside down so that the 7/16 threads that used to be for accessories go into the block and the 1/2 threads stick up in the air. Slide the gasket down two bolts at opposite corners, align perfectly, then slide the head down the two modified bolts perfectly into place. It's a nightmare to do it any other way because you can't slide it without misaligning the gasket.

When I did the swap where the headbolts were wrong diameter, I did similar to what you suggested, but I re-threaded two of the bigger diameter bolts to the smaller thread and cut a screwdriver slot where the head was so I could back them out again.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
Pretty sure my '88 head and the 4.0 head both use 1/2 inch head bolts.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
Some were 7/16"
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »
They seem to have the same amount of play in the 4.0 cylinder head (tiny bit of wiggle) and the 4.2 head they came off of.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk