News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 05:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cool Heads up display.  (Read 5548 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Cool Heads up display.
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »
I found this cool heads up display on the net tonight. It projects your speed and RPM's up onto the windshield....some of the late model GM's had this in them. My buddies Bonneville had it an I thought it was real cool. The best part this thing isnt all that expensive....wiring it up would be the tuff part. http://www.360infiniteusa.com/hud-rpm-volt-water-temp-p-389.html
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
Re: Cool Heads up display.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:26:52 PM »
that is pretty cheap.  I've seen another one that just projects speed and rpm for about $200, I'll have to try and find the link.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:00:27 AM »
The only problem other than being a nightmare wiring up would be the short distance between our dash and windshield...this might be more for newer cars with the raked windshields and huge dashes....for the price though Im really tempted. I also found this cluster from dakota digital that would fit nicely where the stock gauges are.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:11:34 AM »
I've got a HUD app on my iPhone that I use for speed when I'm bored. It works pretty well, and it's free.
I guess if you wanted RPM and other info though, that seems like a good way to go.

The only problem with HUD unit's, is they tend to be useless in the day time on most car's.

Offline JSK

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • ...one day at a time...
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »
I've had a few cars with HUD and they were easily visible during the daytime ... I'll bet the rake of the windshield and the length of the dashboard DO play important roles in how it turns out, though!  (and I wonder if HUD cars have a different windshield with better reflective properties? ...not sure...)
Jerry Kane
Saint Louis, Missouri
1981 SX/4 Sport Dk Grey/black, 6cyl-4spd with a/c and LOUVERS!

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:36 PM »
For 85 bucks I might be willing to risk it though...That Dakota Digital display is like 700 dollars...thats a little more risky.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »
I've had a few cars with HUD and they were easily visible during the daytime ... I'll bet the rake of the windshield and the length of the dashboard DO play important roles in how it turns out, though!  (and I wonder if HUD cars have a different windshield with better reflective properties? ...not sure...)

I've found some work a lot better than others.
I've driven a few Corvette's with HUD, and they work pretty well.
Lexus has to be the worst I've seen. A lot of them are really hard to read when you are have sun at a lot of angles.
I've seen a few in Bonneville's too, that were OK. Better than the Lexus, worse than the Vette. That actually might be a decent swap, as they are stand alone units.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 03:00:39 AM »
Im a tech gadget nut...If it lights I like it, even if it is tacky

Offline NYEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:06:58 AM »
For 85 bucks I might be willing to risk it though...That Dakota Digital display is like 700 dollars...thats a little more risky.

I spent $1000 (installed) on a Nordskog digital dash panel for my Eagle. Wish I had gone with Dakota Digital, the Nordskog panel has been nothing but problems. The panel's been removed twice and sent to California for refurbishing. Right now, the Speedometer is about 15 mph off and the Temp. Gauge doesn't work at all.
Avoid Nordskog at all costs (if they're even still in business).

~ Joe in NY

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
If you look at the Evil Bay site, there is another heads up display called Plasmaglow, for just under a couple hundred bucks.  If anybody needs a link I can send it to them via PM.  Thanks.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53:03 PM »
I was looking at my dash today, theres only a few inches between dash and windshield. I would love a digital gauge though. Ill bet alot of time and know how would be required to install it though. I better keep focused on getting my transmission fixed up though before I go off on some high tech tangent, cutting wires and butchering up the dash.  ::)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 11:59:12 PM »
Yea looking at some of these heads up displays and how shallow the Eagle dash is I'm not sure they would work very well.  If you're just thinking of replacing the existing gauges with digital ones like those from Dakota Digital I don't think it would be that hard, but maybe not the highest priority because they ain't cheap!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 01:06:10 AM »
They got those little round digital gauges I could put where the current Ralley gauges are, and do the digital tach and speedo up top.....Man that would be sharp! Granted I could probably get a new transmission, paint job, and exhaust for what that would cost....but in true Shane fashion thats probably what Ill do....Ill have a car that doesnt move, with peeling paint and bald tires but has a $3000.00 dash that lights up like a x-mas tree when I turn on the key :rotfl:

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
You'd be going nowhere in style!!!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304