News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 07:10:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebuilt transfer case options with viscous coupling discussion.  (Read 21225 times)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Rebuilt transfer case options with viscous coupling discussion.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
I believe the Eaglepaedia has something in there about fluid levels and volumes. But you could google NP128/np129 for that info. But someone here may know as well, I will update this if I find it first.

ok here is the link for the TM, scroll down to the NP 128 is says 3.3 liters (7 pints)

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=July_1985_-_IS_7E_-_General_Information_and_TSM_Pages_for_the_NP_128_Transfer_Case

That would be magic for a vc to hold that much

Manitowoc WI

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »
The service manuals don't detail how to rebuild a viscous coupler. Its supposed to be done in a factory. The 3.3 L capacity is for the whole transfer case.

Why bother looking for that amount until we have a source for the silicone fluid? Its special stuff and some degree of toxic. Is there a place to order the Viscous Coupler fluid for a VW or other make?
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
**Shrug** that's what the book said. it called for dex II and 3.3 liters. check the link I assume that would be from completely empty though.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Sorry... the 128 does NOT have a VC... it was a bad example I pulled the wrong case info... sorry.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
Sounds right for the case. However some cases use other lube such as 10w30

Manitowoc WI

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »
ok here is an update and an image of a VC, this may help and it appears that it is possible to get the VC fluid. I assume that it is possible to order the clutches for the vc not sure still flexing my google fu here.

http://www.vanagon.com/syncros/technica/vc-expert-interview/index.htm

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:12 PM »
So when in comes to rebuilding the viscous coupling, does anyone know how much fluid is supposed to go in it?

Its the right answer for the wrong question. The question asked was how much viscous silicone oil is contained in the viscous coupler. It should be less than a pint. Its possible that the fluid from a VW viscous coupler is still in production and available to allow someone to rebuild their own viscous coupler. Its the fluid that loses its viscosity over time, the internal parts themselves are not in contact and should not wear out.

To be clear, the viscous coupler is about 4 inches in diameter and about  4 inches long. It is one internal part inside the transfer case.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
well, It I think the answer is in my previous post, as there is suppose to be room for expansion. but that's just what I understand at the moment

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
What I have read there needs to be the right combo of oil and air for it to work properly. The gentleman I talked to at RSG said he used to get 5 gal buckets of the oil from Dupont. No idea what it is or if it is still available.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 02:45:55 AM »
What I have read there needs to be the right combo of oil and air for it to work properly. The gentleman I talked to at RSG said he used to get 5 gal buckets of the oil from Dupont. No idea what it is or if it is still available.

yes I have found some from the manufacturer but they link you to a local distributer, I will post the like for you folks that are interested.

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/details.aspx?prod=02967642&type=PROD

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »
I believe the Eaglepaedia has something in there about fluid levels and volumes. But you could google NP128/np129 for that info. But someone here may know as well, I will update this if I find it first.

ok here is the link for the TM, scroll down to the NP 128 is says 3.3 liters (7 pints)

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=July_1985_-_IS_7E_-_General_Information_and_TSM_Pages_for_the_NP_128_Transfer_Case

Except the NP128 has no viscous coupler. That's the tcase lube oil they are talking about it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
So when in comes to rebuilding the viscous coupling, does anyone know how much fluid is supposed to go in it?

Its the right answer for the wrong question. The question asked was how much viscous silicone oil is contained in the viscous coupler. It should be less than a pint. Its possible that the fluid from a VW viscous coupler is still in production and available to allow someone to rebuild their own viscous coupler. Its the fluid that loses its viscosity over time, the internal parts themselves are not in contact and should not wear out.

To be clear, the viscous coupler is about 4 inches in diameter and about  4 inches long. It is one internal part inside the transfer case.

In FSJs, the coupler tears apart and the silicone fluid eats up the bearings like liquid sand.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:41 PM »
Sorry... the 128 does NOT have a VC... it was a bad example I pulled the wrong case info... sorry.

yeah, I updated that, again I apologize for that.

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
Here is the original GKN patent:

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=4022084A&KC=A&FT=D&date=19770510&DB=EPODOC&locale=nl_NL

It makes interesting reading.

The GKN people knew that it worked, but did not know why ....

The original silicone oil also came from Dow Corning ....

Some statements about filling in it too.
The coupler starts really doing something once 100% fill rate is reached due to thermal expansion. So fill it 100% and don't close it. Warm it up to 212F and the excess goop will flow out. Then close the coupler. Now you know that you have a coupler that starts working from 212F. Easy peasy.

Roy Lunn must have done the same experiments and came to a 70% fill rate.

I would do it like this:
Clean the internals with white spirit.
Then fill it to the brim with white spirit.
Empty it in a glass measuring cup (from the kitchen) and make a note of the level.
Use the same cup and fill it with silicone oil 70% of the previous measurement and put that in the viscous coupler.
Why not use the silicone oil to do the measurement? It is too goopy, it won't come out again.
So better use something nice and thin like white spirit.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:31:32 PM by Jurjen »
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
Found out the S10 axles are 5/16" longer fully compressed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk