News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 03:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: timing marks  (Read 8614 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
timing marks
« on: October 22, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »
I bought a timing light and I'm trying to set my timing.  I don't remember how many slashes or marks up equals 9 degrees.  I read it should be set between 9-11 and It was around 8 marks up and that might be why I have so much pinging. I unplugged the hose from the dist. and plugged the hose.  I checked and set it around 6 marks up on the scale, is that correct?????

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: timing marks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 01:04:53 PM »
I believe 1 mark is 2 degrees.

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
if true, i have it set between the 5th and 6th.  the pinging is almost gone and i can peel out pretty easy, so i didn't lose any power.  it only does in 2nd gear, when you start off nothing, but then the next gear it will ping.  i am going to run some seafoam in it now......

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
I believe 1 mark is 2 degrees.

You are correct.  

there are slightly longer marks (4 degrees), but each mark is 2 degrees.  In between each mark will be 1 degree.  

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »
This is how I figured what marks were what on mine, might help someone...

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
Good egg to Doc, I was just going to post the same picture that I took when I was timing mine last week.
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Prafeston

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »
Where is this located on the car? I still have to set my timing...and my car seems like it bogs pretty back...I couldn't peel out if I tried and I have the GRONK carb/dissy upgrade.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »
the very front of the engine on the drivers side, look down at an angle between the engine and the fan.  You may have to do some serious wiping as it gets covered with oil/grunge.  I used some extra carb cleaner that I had along with a fine wire brush(tooth brush style).

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
Pulling the PS belt should also get you better viewing. Shame the main belt is in front so it's a four step process to R&R it.
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
Couple more pics for perspective:

Prafeston

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »
Oh wow...it's way down there! That helps a lot. Thanks.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »
There should be a notch on you balancer as well that you reference against those marks, it's helpful though not required to use something like chalk on that notch to make it stand out

Prafeston

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I still don't understand how the timing light works, but I'm guessing my new one came with instructions.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
Timing is pretty basic, most all the newer lights have an inductive clamp(older ones plugged inline between the plug & wire) that clamps over the number 1 plug wire, and also has two power clamps for the battery, or in this case I clamp to the starter solenoid, and my AC bracket as my battery has covers on the terminals.  You then shine the light down toward this are, and everytime number 1 plug fires the timing light fires it's strobe light so that you can see where the mark on the balancer is with regards to the marks on that scale.  You then slightly loosen the distributor clamp bolt and twist the distributor to move the timing advance or retard as required.

One final thought, that inductive clamp has an arrow or a towards engine side, this is important as not all of them work well backwards.  My favorite old Craftsman light is 30ish years old, and works better than the two newer ones that I have, BUT I HAVE to put the clamp on the right direction, the newer ones aren't picky, but they also aren't as accurate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk