News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 11:24:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer Job!  (Read 112962 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Summer Job!
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
I haven't really thought about the lights yet, but my brother just got me some new ones so I'll be looking into that soon. Thanks for noticing.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »
You might want to get the oil pan cleaned up before it rusts through giving you a major oil leak  :o

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:56 AM »
Yeah I know it looks bad, but it's not nearly at that point yet. I have plenty of rust removal to do underneath the car, and seeing as I'll be changing the oil soon, I'll probably get that sanded down and sprayed with something pronto. I wish I could just drop the oil pan, but I don't have the means to pull the engine, or remove all the things to get to it without pulling the engine.

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »
You might want to get the oil pan cleaned up before it rusts through giving you a major oil leak  :o
and from my experence JB weld is only a band aid once it starts leaking
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2011, 11:33:44 PM »
Discovered some new goodies when removing the front left bumper endcap today ::)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2011, 11:47:17 PM »
 :o You're finding all kinds of surprises!  Its good to see you pursuing this project and not just dumping it due to the rust  :hello2:  I'll be eager to see how the repairs go.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2011, 12:56:35 AM »
Well, I guess it's easier not to dump it since I'm not actually doing the welding myself :P But I don't mind doing the rust removal, I kind of equate it to washing a car. It's rewarding to see it all smooth and clean when finished. I'm moving onto that next.

If I knew how to weld and had the equipment, I would certainly do it myself. However, my brother has the equipment and the know-how already and offered to do it as long as I get the areas cleaned up. I've also been talking to thereverendbill and he was very kind to extend his welding ability for the price of gas and some food/beverage when he's here. I may just have to take him up on it ;D

I bought this car knowing it would need work, and I've put way too much money into it to just dump it. I wanted to put myself into this position so I would be forced to stay motivated and gain a lot more automotive knowledge. My excitement to finish this project is just snowballing every day. It's a lot easier to get work done without being tied down with a job at the moment. The only problem is $$$, which I've been making selling things on the "bay" and the "list".
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:04:42 AM by Baskinator »

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2011, 08:17:56 PM »
Be thankful you have a brother who will help with his skills.Then it's one less thing you'll have to think about later.You've made good progress so far.Even a day you can fix something on your car for free is a good day 8)
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »
This evening's work with the grinder. Was away most of the day and it poured here, so I didn't get much done.

Oh yeah, I also put in the new headlights. Though rusty, the adjuster screws still seemed to work fine. I just don't know exactly how to adjust them, and can't start the car at the moment because the battery died again. Will probably be getting a new one soon. Any suggestions? I was looking at a $50 Plus Start from Sears, reviews seem decent.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:26:49 PM by Baskinator »

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2011, 12:55:34 AM »
I didn't realize I never posted pictures of the interior. Here are a few:

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2011, 01:28:24 AM »
Painted my trans oil pan and replaced it along with a new gasket, filter, and fluid yesterday and today. The old fluid was pretty gunked up and nasty, it almost looked like a thick white paint in the pan.

I decided to practice with clear coat since the pan's not in a visible spot anyway. It didn't turn out so great, especially being outside where all kinds of moths could get in it, and the clear is matte so it just gave it a white haze.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:32:39 AM by Baskinator »

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2011, 06:44:42 AM »
nice paint job.mine was painted orange with black bolts,chipped now but I'll prob repaint the whole thing eventually,I like your seats they look comfortable unlike mine.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
Thanks. Yeah, the seats are surprisingly comfortable. There are a couple small tears in the driver seat you can see on the far side in the pictures. I've also had trouble adjusting them, they won't sit even because they both lock in different places. The tracks underneath are very rusted, so I'm not sure what I'll have to do about that.

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
Thanks. Yeah, the seats are surprisingly comfortable. There are a couple small tears in the driver seat you can see on the far side in the pictures. I've also had trouble adjusting them, they won't sit even because they both lock in different places. The tracks underneath are very rusted, so I'm not sure what I'll have to do about that.
you could take the seats out, remove the tracks and media blast them 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
you could take the seats out, remove the tracks and media blast them 

That's a good idea. Not that I have the means to do that right now, but I'll probably end up doing it at some point. I may even have to take the seats out to do rust repair anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk