News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:21:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: speedometer cable removal and installation  (Read 15880 times)

Offline pradtf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
speedometer cable removal and installation
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
i'm posting this here because the speedometer cable is connect to the transmission box (so i thought it appropriate though it may not be). the tsm is a bit sketchy on this from what we found though several posts in this forum encouraged us not to just 'try our luck', but to be clear on what we are doing.

first: the removal

we are dealing with kiyreagle

we got the cruise control cable and unit off and are now contemplating the best approach for dealing with getting the rest off the transmission. here's what it looks like:

the cable is attached by a clip in a groove on the inside from what i understand. we remove the bolt but keep track of the position of the dots along side the numbers. when we pull it all out lots of fluid is supposed to spill out so we have to plug it up quick!

second: the preparation

we need to salvage the clip or get a new one to use on the new cable. we are not using the cruise version and we have checked that the 81" one is sufficiently long.

put the cable and the retainer (i guess that's what it is called) together. there is likely some issue with proper alignment here as well though i don't know what that may be yet.

third: the installation

unplug the transmission receiving end and watch stuff spill out again as we rush to put the retainer back in with proper alignment and bolt it.

get the other end connected into the speedometer and put on the rubber seal (which we salvaged from the old cable by cutting the cable) at the firewall.

refill the lost fluid with either gear oil (stinks) or autotrans (reddish) depending on what was there to begin with.

have i missed anything?
any specific tips?
 ???

in friendship,
prad

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: speedometer cable removal and installation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »
I've only taken the whole unit out. Works for me

Manitowoc WI

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:57:55 PM »
it's transmission fluid that's in there.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »
When I replaced my speedo cable, I just pulled the actual cable out of the sheathing. Then lubed the new cable, and shoved it back down, cut to length and crimped the speedo adapter to the cable. I never had to remove the trans plug thing.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline pradtf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
When I replaced my speedo cable, I just pulled the actual cable out of the sheathing. Then lubed the new cable, and shoved it back down, cut to length and crimped the speedo adapter to the cable. I never had to remove the trans plug thing.

that is an ingenious idea!
unfortunately, it won't work for us since the sheathing is in 2 pieces:
speedo --- cruise
cruise --- trans
neither close to the required 81"  :'(
in friendship,
prad

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
Is it possible to disconnect the cables from the cruise module, and the pull the cable out from there?
Dan

Offline pradtf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:34:01 PM »
Is it possible to disconnect the cables from the cruise module, and the pull the cable out from there?
yes but that cable is about 24" long while the other isn't quite 81". so there are 2 not one cables.

however, together they are over 81", so may be you are thinking of running the wire cable through the cruise unit and using the existing sheathing joined together? that would be an interesting possibility if it could be done cleanly. we'll look into it tomorrow.
in friendship,
prad

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:47:25 AM »
If you pull it out, you'll get maybe a half cup to a cup of fluid, not that much and you won't be able to stop it. It's a good reason to check the levels in the TC and top it up anyway.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »
I'd love to hear someone explain how they got their hand up behind the dash and were able to disconnect the speedo cable from the cluster.   I can see it but don't have tiny little monkey hands with king-kong grip to get in there and unscrew it. 
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline pradtf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
I'd love to hear someone explain how they got their hand up behind the dash and were able to disconnect the speedo cable from the cluster.   I can see it but don't have tiny little monkey hands with king-kong grip to get in there and unscrew it. 

my hands are just barely small enough. my son wasn't able to do it this time (though he could a year ago).
what i found was that if you push hard enough, you can find a position where your thumb and forefinger can actually work on the capscrew.

i was thinking though that it may be possible to loosen the cable sufficiently from the things holding it down as it passes through the engine compartment so that the cluster can actually be pulled out sufficiently so you can work on unscrewing it from the top. (you may have to loosen and push back the rubber 'washer' which blocks up the hole to the firewall so you can get the cable to move further into the car).

my intent certainly is to do it this way for the installation. we put attach the speedometer from the top, push the cluster back in and then attach it to the trans. then we secure the cable.
in friendship,
prad

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 04:24:55 PM »
I'd love to hear someone explain how they got their hand up behind the dash and were able to disconnect the speedo cable from the cluster.   I can see it but don't have tiny little monkey hands with king-kong grip to get in there and unscrew it.  

I removed the parcel shelf, then I unscrewed the 2 nuts holding the hood release cable to the dash and put my arm up where the hood release goes. I do not have tiny hands, but not huge either, and I had plenty of room. You can feel where the cable is.  Once the cable is disconnected from the speedo, you can remove the instrument cluster.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:22:18 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
I'd love to hear someone explain how they got their hand up behind the dash and were able to disconnect the speedo cable from the cluster.   I can see it but don't have tiny little monkey hands with king-kong grip to get in there and unscrew it.  

I do it the easy way. Disconnect all the clips under the car and pull out the cluster. You may need to remove the end from the TC for slack. It'll feed right out, then you can work on it easily. Be careful re-inserting the cluster and don't kink the line.

It saves your knuckles and your sanity. There is absolutely no room where the cable attaches. I've been able to disconnect the line by removing the radio and putting a whole arm in the dash with the cluster loosened, but I'll never do that again. It takes too many band aids and really isn't a whole lot faster.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline pradtf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 10:05:17 PM »
You may need to remove the end from the TC for slack.

ben we're stuck on this part.
we've removed the retaining clip and have drained the oil from the tc, but the orange plastic donut seems to be stuck on tight - i can't pry it loose with a screwdriver and we don't want to pull the cable hard to get it out because it may snap.

what is to be done?

surely it doesn't screw off, does it?

in friendship,
prad

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 10:56:39 PM »
when i removed the one on survivor the cable popped out of the red part. what i did was grab a flat head screw driver and a hammer and put the screw driver in one of the grooves and lightly tapped it with the hammer till it popped loose and i was able to pull it out without damaging it.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:24:18 PM »
Just today I unhooked and rehooked the cable at the speedo in my 81 Concord. I don't have small hands but made it OK. Didn't have to undo the hood release either.  : )
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk