News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 06, 2024, 01:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Concept AM Van  (Read 27753 times)

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 180
Re: Concept AM Van
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »
:o

That thing is GORGUS!!

Wonder why AMC never went through with it?? same with that extra small smart like thing. Both probably woulda pulled AMC outa the hole.

They probably didn't go through with it due to money shortage.  AMC traditionally seems to be the company that had to make do with very little development money to put forth a number of great ideas.  This is one of the ideas that likely got on the back burner and never was able to resurface due to other projects going forth.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline matt1971

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Joy67

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
How cool!!!  I love the porthole windows on the sides!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 05:38:51 PM »
Amazing!  At least Lee did not trash it!  Extra egg to you for the find.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline UMunky

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
    • EskiePages
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 12:28:31 AM »
Fascinating. I've seen some of the pics of the AM Van in the past, but seeing more pics and the video was cool. Excellent. I think the obvious is that this being a concept, that if AMC had taken it to production, it'd have had a number of modifications before being final. I'm sure that if indeed it was to be 4WD that the wheel wells would have needed more room. The engine area would also have likely needed to be extended some, which I think would have made it a bit more appealing, actually. It's not bad as it is, but a little more refinement to an actual, practical mini-van would have been awesome to see. You can bet your bottom dollar that Iacocca and co. were taking notes at the time. Lee, had afterall, been a part of the Ford "mini-van" project that got axed in the early 70s as well....and it was well known that he took the mini-van idea with him to Chryco when he took over. In fact, having seen the Ford mini-van concept pics, I think this AM Van more than likely definitely had an impact on what eventually became the Caravan/Voyager.

Oddly, one thing crossed my mind in looking at the AM Van pics this time. Being a "short" mini van more or less.....it actually had qualities that showed up in the Dodge/Plymouth/Mitsubishi Colt Vista in the 80s, and then even in the Eagle Summit (and cousins) in the early 90s. Obviously those were entirely Mitsu and only used the Eagle name, but still.....it's interesting to see the parallel approach to a small degree. So, yes, if AMC had indeed taken this to production, I think it would have made some huge waves.....especially if they had done so before '83.

BTW....a semi-related set of pics that you all may be interested in are a couple of "Jeep Van" pictures that were sent to me some years ago. I believe I was told these were out of some magazine, but Jeep *had* developed a prototype *van* way back in the late 50s or early 60s. It was based off the FC platform, as you can readily tell. It looks so much like the basic VW mini-bus in many ways, but was so much more. Front engine, rear wheel drive, 4wd, and notice the doors on *both* sides of the van! I think these were rated for seating 9 people. (how many years...decades actually....ahead of their time were these...wow!) I was never a big fan of the FC jeeps, but once I saw this it totally changed my opinion.....and it quickly became my "man, if I could have a dream vehicle, that'd be about as close as possible". I believe I've heard about 3 prototypes were built, and at least one still survives somewhere, but not sure on the whereabouts or any of that for sure.

This second image is merely a drawing of different configurations of the Jeep "bus".....including crew cabs and so on. Some of the "vans" were supposedly made as ambulances for use in the military...I believe all sent or maybe even made overseas for like Germany or something. If any were made, they were few at most....and any surviving would be rare at best. Still....it's incredible to see these in light of "what could have been"....especially when AMC ended up with Jeep later on and came up with yet another van idea this thread has been about that would have been incredible to see. Sigh......

If anyone has any more pics of vids of the AM Van, that would be awesome to see.
Michael
'78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
'80 J10: 360 (TFI'd), TF727, NP208, longbed, topper
1997 model American Eskimo Dog
One poodle, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Offline Pack Rat

• Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 12:37:07 AM »
Nothing more on the AM van yet but you might find this interesting-FC Connection

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 12:56:49 AM »
I love that FC-based van.  That is awesome.  I wonder if one of those could be built?  I'd love to have one.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline UMunky

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
    • EskiePages
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 09:10:59 PM »

Pack Rat - Thanks for the FC link. I haven't looked for FC pages on the net in a few years, so that was a pleasant experience to see this one! Got it bookmarked.....some excellent pics and info there!

I love that FC-based van.  That is awesome.  I wonder if one of those could be built?  I'd love to have one.

Well, with enough time, money, and effort you can do anything. :) Take a look at what this guy and his crew have done:

http://thefcconnection.com/jesse_ybarra_m-679.htm

So, yes, I'm sure a person could....but what the cost....in time and money and all that....would be is likely not a small figure at all.

Still...if you think about it, if Jeep *had* released this mini-bus in the early 60s...even if they only did cargo versions at first....you can bet they'd have been adding windowed versions before long as well. How long was it before there were factory 4wd vans? Wasn't it late 80s or 90 or so when the big three did their AWD vans? And they were still not as heavy duty as these would have been. When were doors commonplace on both sides of vans? Mid to late 90s, wasn't it? The Jeep mini-bus would have been 20-30 years+ ahead of its time. And we still don't have anything as cool as this was. Anyway, at least there are pictures to saliivate over.

Back to the AM van.....oddly, I ran across a video last night that had an image in it that really caught my eye. Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7BwRL2yhGQ

About 47 seconds in you'll see a van image float across the screen. I think it appears again later, but you can stop at that point if you want. :) Not the AM van, but has some similarities. And in light of the fact that this song/video were out in what 82 or 83....*before* the Mopar mini's hit the streets....it's rather interesting to think about.

BTW....on that Hemmings link above, did anyone notice the following bit:
" Joe Bortz, he of concept car collecting fame, said he got the AM Van from Chrysler when the company was going through AMC’s inventory shortly after the buyout in 1987."

Sure makes you wonder what other goodies Joe got at the time?
Michael
'78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
'80 J10: 360 (TFI'd), TF727, NP208, longbed, topper
1997 model American Eskimo Dog
One poodle, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 01:56:32 AM »
OK Pack Rat you owe me 2hr of my do nothing day.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
Yes, very addictive site there.  I linked to some of their dealership pix there as I found three that were previously not documented at the AMC Heritage Forum.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline BortzCars

• Bortz Auto Collection
  • Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
    • Bortz Auto Collection
Concept AM Van
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
The AmVan has been in the Bortz Auto Collection for many years.  I tried uploading a photo of the Am Van but was not able to figure out how to do it.  Please email me at [email protected] and I will send you a picture of the AmVan if you like.
It may be going to the Chrysler Museum for special display.
Debbie
Bortz Auto Collection
Highland Park, IL USA

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
Glad to have you here.  You can e-mail it to me at [email protected]

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »
It's funny this popped up again. Unrelated to the AMC but to prototype minvans, I stumbled onto this yesterday. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1972-ford-carousel-minivan-concept-car.htm Seems Ford and Chrysler were working on "garagable" vans in the early 70's. Looks quite a bit like a Caravan that Iacoca brought to fruition.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:17:13 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
BortzCars:
Most of us use free Photobucket accounts.
 www.photobucket.com
We recommend clicky pics.  This is a thumbnail picture that enlarges when clicked.
Photobucket has made a change in the way you copy the code.
Here is the way it looks to me:
For a single clicky pic, hover over the picture.  This will open a drop down menu.  Click on the fourth window, img.
It will then say "copied".
Go to the thread where you want to put the picture and paste it in.
For multiple clicky pics, hover over the pictures and click on the small box at the bottom of the picture.
Scroll down and click on "Choose action".  Click "Generate code for selected".
This will open another page.  Click on the third box, "IMG for bulletin boards & forums".  It will say "copied".  Paste it into the thread of your choice. 
In both instances you can select "Preview" to make sure it is what you want before you post it.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk