News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 11:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 353972 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #315 on: February 04, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
just keep us posted, and cool tank btw...

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #316 on: February 04, 2011, 08:12:41 PM »
just keep us posted, and cool tank btw...

Yes, its pretty neat, it was a christmas present for my husband.  The tracks move independently forward or reverse, the turret rotates, the gun elevates and lowers, when you fire the gun the gun recoils and the whole tank rocks back and forth like the real thing.  I thought I was buying him one that shot BBs but I mistakenly got him one with a lazer that allows up to 8 people to shoot at each other and if the lazer is on the tank a red light goes on to show it was hit.

Offline greythorn3

• Wheelordie.com
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wheelordie.com
    • Wheelordie.com
« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2011, 03:12:49 AM »
can you ask your huisband how to take the ignition switch out and install? imine didnt come with a switch so i need to put the key cylinder in it. sick of starting it with pliers

Thanks
Age & trickery beats youth & vitality every time.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2011, 10:38:09 AM »
Okay Greythorn3, I'll ask him about it later today or tomorrow morning.

I asked him about the wires in that one harness being different colours on each side of the connector and he thought it was not that unusual and shouldn't be a problem.  I guess the tilt column worked in the 81 Eagle wagon so it should work in the 81 SX/4

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »
Hello Greythorn3!
 This is Ward here. If I understand correctly you have a working car without the ignition lock cylinder. For tools you will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool. Under the dash on the right side of the column is a flat connector with about 10 wires or so going into it. undo this connector, this is the turn signal switch wiring. Back up on top remove the steering wheel. The lock plate has a little plastic cover that pries off, once it's off use the lock plate tool, various little screwdrivers, and just a little bit of swearing, get the little lock ring out of it's groove and up the shaft.  You can now remove the lock plate and horn slip ring under it. Congradulations! The most ignorant part of the job is done! You can now remove the turn signal stalk (1 screw, if the car has cruise just pull it out enough to clear the column and let it hang there.) Push the hazard button in then unscrew it. The turn signal switch is held in with 3 screws, you will need to push the top of the switch down from center as if it was signalling right  to get at one of the screws. Once the screws are out you can pull on the switch with a needle nose pliers and push on the harness underneath and get the turn signal switch up and out of the way. You do not need to get the switch right out of the column, just up enough to get it off the shaft and out of the way. If your column is tilt, have it in the central or straight position as the harness will feed up easier.
There will be a little plastic widget with two copper fingers sticking out of it stuck in a sqaure hole, if you don't have a lock cylinder in the car this should just pull out with needle nose pliers. For anyone else reading this if your column has a lock cylinder in it the key may have to be be turned to the "on" position. You can now see a slot that the lock cylinder release clip is in. with a small screwdriver push in on the little locking tab and the cylinder will slide out.  Reassembly is basically reverse order of disassembly. Best of luck.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #320 on: February 06, 2011, 12:54:45 AM »
Just be careful when you pull the steeing wheel theres bearings i there, when i pulled mine i lost several bearings and i think i put the steering lock thing back in wrong...It was awful, on my way to work i made a right turn..the steering wheel locked and the horn stuck on and there i sat...embarassing to say the least. Its pretty easy to do just pay attention to the order in which all those parts come off and go back in.

By the way Priya what kind of paint did you use on that? was it a plastic based stuff...It looks nice I think I might go that route on mine rather than have the steering wheel re-wrapped.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:44 AM »
By the way Priya what kind of paint did you use on that? was it a plastic based stuff...It looks nice I think I might go that route on mine rather than have the steering wheel re-wrapped.

Yes, it was a plastic dye rather than an actual paint.  

http://www.dyeandpaint.com/Details.asp?productid=VARIBOND

The company I bought it from said it can be used on metal if you prime the metal first.  They will colour match the dye for you if you send them a swatch with the colour you want but you have to buy a quart of dye before they'll do that.  A quart is $100 not including shipping.  The colour came out exactly as I'd hoped.

I have to paint the pieces in the same garage the car is in so I built this state of the art down draft paint booth for painting the plastic pieces, I can't wait to use it:

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
I bet it will work just fine.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »
IE, I just noticed that this is your 30000th post!   WOW!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2011, 10:53:39 PM »
Sounds like some stout stuff..Ill bet ya dont want to get it on your hands though...you'll match your eagle...lol. Thanx for the link!!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
IE, I just noticed that this is your 30000th post!   WOW!

wow, That is quite the number of posts. 

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2011, 06:17:38 AM »
IE, I just noticed that this is your 30000th post!   WOW!
I wasn't even paying attention.  I guess it was.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #327 on: March 20, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
Time for an update.  Some of this work was done last fall but I was waiting until something significant was complete before posting.  This is the engine assembly and installation.

The first thing we did was take the used Clifford valve cover I bought and strip the green paint off of it:

We painted it Chrysler electric blue and Ward suggested that he use his mill to remove 20 thousands of an inch (five thousands a pass) off the top so the ribs and writing would show through as bare aluminum.  Here's the valve cover after painting and prior to milling

The milling operation is underway:

And here is the finished product:

Engine assembly was next.  Hubby handled it while I shouted encouragement. 
The crank goes in the block:

Pistons are installed:

Head and valvetrain installed:

I cleaned, prepped and painted the block and head:

Here's the motor with brackets installed and ready to go in the car:

Hubby starts lifting the motor to go in the hole:

Lowering the motor into place:

The motor in place and mounts hooked up:

:blob1:

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:drool: :faint:

*Speechless*  :notworthy:
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133