News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 16, 2024, 03:21:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Greetings from ABQ NM - 1980 Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Mewcus

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
Greetings from ABQ NM - 1980 Eagle Wagon Limited
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
Hello All,

Last weekend after years of dreaming, and months of looking I finally bought my first Eagle - a 1980 Eagle Wagon (limited).  I drove it home from Phoenix to it's new home in Albuquerque last weekend.

I've already posted a question, and gotten great responses from the forum-ites, so here is my more formal introduction.

1980 eagle by mewwcus, on Flickr

The Good
  • It was a Phoenix car most of its life - Almost no Rust
  • Engine in decent Shape - I think it needs a new valve cover seal... runs strong otherwise
  • Trans in decent shape
  • Newer exhaust
  • It made the trip home from Phoenix in 112 degree heat with almost no problems

The Bad
  • Both rear-hatch hinge brackets are bad.  - One is de-threaded and the other one completely for show (broken in half).  The only thing holding up the back door is the latch. (I had to severely ductape it to make it back from phoenix)
  • Steering is super loose - I'm thinking it has to do with the tilt, but it may also be the power steering box itself - or both
  • Drivers side seat is trashed. - Springs and bottom are trashed. Sitting on it is like sitting side-saddle on a horse
  • Heater core is disconnected (who needed that in phx anyway) and thus probably bad/leaking
  • Driver side window shattered - Driving back from PHX I stopped in flagstaff to fill up, closed the door pretty hard (had to to close the door properly) and the window shattered into a million pieces

The Ugly
  • It was a Phoenix car most of its life - Anything plastic or rubber is very brittle - the side flares and skirt crumble just by looking at them funny and there are plenty of holes
  • Smells funny inside
  • Those pillowy-cordoroy cream seats are, well, let's just say not cream colored anymore

Other small problems are really only an annoyance (passenger door latch, blinkers, fuel gauge, couple non-functioning lights, you can start the car without a key)

This is going to be my daily driver - but I work less than 1/2 mile from home. It will also be our Awesome Camping Vehicle (ACV) to hold me, my wife, 2 dogs, and camping gear as we tool around the state making my wife into a camping newmexpert (she is originally from Nevada)

Plans

• Fix all the really broken stuff above
  • Full Flat black - Plastidip of exterior - with some camo green plastidip on some of the chrome parts
  • 1 1/2" - 2" lift + slightly bigger tires
  • Mexican Blanket reupholster and camo green interior moldings
  • CB with monstrous back antenna (maybe)
  • fab back bumper with hitch
  • camp
  • camp
  • camp

Once it is in a decent operating order, my first trip is I'm planning is up to to eagle nest lake, up near Taos, NM... Hopefully within the month

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: Greetings from ABQ NM - 1980 Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
Looks like you found yourself a nice ride. The very little rust is the best thing about desert cars! You have it made already. The other stuff is all replaceable. I have one slightly beat up hatch hinge I would sell cheap and I believe I have a whole set of side skirts for an 80 wagon. I'll have to check their condition.

Love the wheels by the way!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »
There is a super decent looking 1980 Eagle sitting in the Sherwood picking yard and it's in one piece. The first thing I noticed here was that screwball chrome rack but I think the hinges are okay. I might be able to get them if they're needed that badly.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »
Very nice, thanks for the pics

The hardest part of having an Eagle is getting an Eagle, and you got a good one, the no rust is your biggest plus!

The rest can be fixed or replaced, interior pieces were shared with other eagles, and Concords, even hornets to some degree and are findable

The best thing is you found this forum, as you can see above you already have fellow eagleites coming to your rescue with parts you need and solutions to your problems

Plus half the fun of owning one is fixing them up, mine was sad, tired and neglected and I saved it, and you will too, there's a lot of pride in that

Save these pics, a year from now you won't recognize your eagle!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:39:47 PM »
has a nice weathered look to it, and welcome to the nest!
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Mewcus

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words. For the skirt and flares, if you hthink they are in good condition, have some pics and have a price in mind I'd certainly be interested.

For the hinges, I had read somewhere on the forum that the hinges aren't the best design and can give pretty easily. If its pretty easy to pull and not too much that would be great. Otherwise I'll ask my brother if he can fab some replacements that might not be pretty but functional.

I'll definitely be archiving my pics. I've had older cars in the past (my first car was a 68 bronco and I've also had a 73 roadrunner) and one thing I've learned is to keep on top of project cars. If you are not fixing them up, and let them sit, there is a good chance they end up sitting for a long time with little progress (the roadrunner sat in my driveway for 5 years with little done.)

I haven't been this excited about a car since that bronco, so I am determined to fix/mod this guy on a tight schedule, so hopefully ill be updating with many changed pics soon.

I'm going to the upull upay salvage on Friday to go look at an 87 wagon they have. If I can't salvage the driver windows, are there any places you guys recommend for replacement glass?

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 01:29:25 AM »
You have good taste in cars!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:55:35 PM »
Welcome to the nest. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »
Good to see another Eagle in Albuquerque (I'm in Tijeras.)  I use mine mainly for winter 4x capability.  Drop a line and we can compare good, bad and ugly issues.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline immortalbard

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2024, 10:21:02 PM »
Nice work, man!

I live in Albuquerque and I just bought an '83. I'm not very handy though. Do you know of anyone in Albuquerque who works on eagles?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk