News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 16, 2024, 03:20:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front axle spartan locker install  (Read 224 times)

Offline pajohnson

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Front axle spartan locker install
« on: August 27, 2024, 11:01:58 PM »
I recently installed a spartan locker into the front diff of my eagle wagon. I got my eagle in December and have used this forum on almost a daily basis during the build up of it. Figured I would contribute something back  ;). You guys rock! This is the most helpful, good natured, and useful group of people and information I have ever seen on the internet.

I used a Dana 35 C-Clip spartan locker in the front diff. A dana 35 auto locker will fit in a dana 30 carrier no problem. I used a dana 35 locker because no dana 30's came with C-clips/poodle rings (from what I've found) and you need at least one c-clip/poodle ring to keep our front diffs together. I only installed the driver's side poodle ring - the passenger side intermediate shaft should be retained by the carrier cross-pin and passenger side axle flange shaft assembly.

The driver's side poodle ring need to be ground down to make this work - it fits inside of a spacer cup in the locker that has a 1.4" diameter, and the stock diameter of the poodle ring installed on an axle shaft is around 1.44". This can be accomplished with a dremel in 5 minutes. I installed a poodle ring on the driver side stub shaft, removed from the diff, and dremeled it until it fit the cup.

Why the front diff? I read about dana 30 vs dana 35 lockers and the XJ guys are of the opinion that a locked dana 35 will immediately explode if you lock it. That spooked me, plus I didn't want to deal with a locked axle during daily driving. In 2wd on any eagle, an auto-locker in the front diff is almost not noticeable, and with a front axle disconnect it is completely transparent.

Offline 89 MJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: Front axle spartan locker install
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »
This is a good idea!
1986 Eagle: 258, Auto, Chrysler 8.25 rear, 3.54 gears
1989 Jeep Comanche: 4.0, AX-15, 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears
1940 Chevy PU: 350, 700R4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk