News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 16, 2024, 03:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front lower ball joints  (Read 10685 times)

Offline jeepneagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: Front lower ball joints
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2024, 11:14:48 AM »
So I am doing a complete front end rebuild and have been messing with the ball joints after watching the issues in Ludworks’s video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEIfWU6lXBg). The Rare Parts lowers are identical to the 3170 uppers with a tapered spacer attached. Tapered spacers already exist for tie rods, which generally use the same taper as ball joints. This appears to be a sleeve that would adapt the 3170 to the lower ball joint diameter https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-tapered-f150-knuckle-conversion-shim. My big issue is the interference between the steering arm and lower control arm at full bump. I pulled my Rare Parts lowers apart and swapped the spacer plate to the top of the control arm and countersunk a bolt into the offending position. I reamed the taper in the knuckle just a hair to get the ball joint lower and ground the steering arm and lower control arm a bit too. The ideal situation would be to pull apart the moog 3170 joints, weld on a longer "cap" portion like the OEM unit and avoid the reinforcement plate all together. I'm glad Ludworks found the Jaguar XJ option and is making the adapter plates, should make for a cleaner solution in the end.
1984 Eagle Limited

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk