News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:27:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steering Column Donor  (Read 3393 times)

Offline slcTed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Steering Column Donor
« on: September 12, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »
Hey everyone, so I kind of screwed up my steering column attempting to fix the wiggle/play in the wheel (see this thread for the details: http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45318.0 ) and now I am thinking it would be easier to switch out the entire column with one from the junk yard.

Does anyone have any suggestions of donor columns that would pair nicely with a 1985 4 door Eagle? Jeeps are plentiful in my area so I am hoping that a Jeep steering column would be a good fit...
1985 4-door AMC Eagle
1993 Jeep Cherokee Country Edition XJ

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
Re: Steering Column Donor
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
I have a  column from an 84 wagon. Tilt and cruise if it helps you. 150,000 on the eagle but it still seem good. Never got to drive her the lower a arm snapped on the flatbed on the way to me. O-well mabye I'll turn the body into a camper. Anyway  I am in Rhode Island to help figure out shipping cost.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »
Jeep XJ right up till 94-95 fit. Have to pull and trim the rag joint a few inches, but it goes in identical to the original Eagle column. Most of the parts are the same as the Eagle as well. I installed one into my Eagle (with a full drivetrain swap), just about all the parts are the same as the original Eagle.

Offline slcTed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »
Thank you Sandeagle for the offer. I will check out the local pick and pull for XJ columns and see what they can do for me before you ship from RI (I am in Utah so could be a bit of $$$).

Thank you Nightpath, that is great to know. Is it a pretty straightforward job?
1985 4-door AMC Eagle
1993 Jeep Cherokee Country Edition XJ

Offline el-camino

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • holiday in sweden
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
nightpath
can you explain how do you fix the wipers ?
i have now a XJ column in my Eagle, the lights and all other will work and i will do the rest with the wipers, thanks
greets from Sweden
Klaus

www.forneby-hill.com

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »
When I did my full swap, the wiring came with it from the XJ. It took a bit of touch and go but there is a ground, power and a signal wire for the Eagle which are needed. The XJ had 1 more wire which isn't used.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk