News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:44:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tramsmission jerks  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Oberrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
tramsmission jerks
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:41:13 AM »
Hi,
My transmission (i think its a TF999) jerks extremly when i give a little more gas, when i give no gas it drives normal with the standing gas.
 i give him new filter and oil but it dont stop.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: tramsmission jerks
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:59:27 AM »
I have a bunch of questions. Maybe your answers will help me or someone else figure out what's going on:
1) What did the old fluid look like? Was it dark-colored? Did it smell burnt? Did the fluid look like water was mixed with it?
2) When you took the pan off did you find any large chunks in the bottom? In some pans there's a small donut-shaped magnet in the bottom of the pan. Were there any large particles of metal stuck to the magnet? Some small particles in the bottom of the pan or on the filter are to be expected and are not necessarily a sign of impending transmission failure.
3) When you were under the car did you see if the throttle linkage was hooked to the lever on the transmission? :eagle:

1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »
What happens when you put it into reverse?

1 of 2 things I can think of :

If it jerks when going into reverse it's probably just ujoints.

If it jerks when you step on the gas from not being on the gas, chances are the rod assembly that connects your gas pedal to the carb is loose. It's not like a newer vehicle that either uses electronics to handle it, nor a retention held wire.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »
when the transmission jerks, does the engine rpm kick up heavily as well, like it dropped down a gear?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
Great questions for him.  Any fluid leaks?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
Oberrod. If English is hard for you, I may be able to translate. I use https://translate.google.com/ to get the basics if I don't know it. "Fortunately" for me, I grew up in Canada and learned English and Russian first (to communicate with my grandmother. I haven't spoken it since first grade and never learned to read it.) which I was told was Dutch (due to anti-communist sentiments back then) then French and low German. In high school and after I learned some Hindi and recent years I learned enough Spanish to talk cars with some friends in Mexico and sell parts to Hispanic customers.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Oberrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:06 AM »
the transmission have now stop jerks, i dont know why.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »
They do that if it wasn't driven for a long time, then now it is. Takes awhile for things to re-break in.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk