News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 09:10:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T-case confusion  (Read 3262 times)

86MJ

T-case confusion
« on: January 08, 2015, 04:44:32 PM »
Hello, so I'm looking to buy and eagle, and i've found a promising 87 here a link to the sellers page

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1034272194

but my question is, he says the the chain is slipping in the NP-129 t-case, I taught these were the VC cases, so does that mean that the VC is bad or does that mean it actually has the NP-128?

and even if it has a slipping chain or a bad VC should it not still in 2wd?

thank you

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: T-case confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »
I would make and assumption it may be a "false neutral" issue. It's when the transfer case isn't quite all the way into 2wd. I makes a grinding sound and it feels like the transmission is slipping.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

86MJ

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
so would I be able to crawl under it and move it into two wheel drive by hand at the T-case?

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:01:04 PM »
Yes, you would need to move the lever to the 'back' position and use something (a spring, wire, etc.)  to keep it there (or it will slip back into 'false neutral').

And I can second eaglefreek's diagnosis.  False neutral feels exactly like a slipping clutch, only with more noise...

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »
Yes, search false neutral here on the forum. Make sure the parking brake is on and I would suggest chocking the wheels also. It takes a 9/16" wrench if my memory is correct.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

86MJ

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 12:16:52 AM »
cool, thanks for the help everyone :)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:13:46 PM »
Keep in mind it could also be a bad differential (stripped hub in rear or blown spiders in front)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk