News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 12:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brake upgrades  (Read 3364 times)

Offline jpgreen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Brake upgrades
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:06:15 PM »
Anyone have any nifty ideas for brake upgrades? I plan on copying Baskinators hydroboost swap, any ideas for easy rear discs, thought I saw somewhere that a very late model Cherokee had rear discs and is an easy axle swap. Ideas for larger front discs?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Brake upgrades
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
The easy way to get rear disc is to install a 8.25 rear from a Cheroke(XJ) and get the disc brakes from a Grand Cherokee(ZJ) and install the brakes on the Cherokee axle. There was one guy working on Mustang Cobra brakes for the front, but haven't heard anything about it in quite some time. You would need minimum of 17" wheels to use the Cobra 13" front rotors.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jpgreen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
I know the XJ axle swap involves relocating shock mounts, how much fab is involved in adding the disc brakes? I cant see 17s on an eagle, maybe 16s but no more

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:19:54 PM »
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »
I know the XJ axle swap involves relocating shock mounts, how much fab is involved in adding the disc brakes? I cant see 17s on an eagle, maybe 16s but no more
No fab work, it's a bolt on.  However, since were taking eagles and not Jeeps, there might be some parking brake fab work. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/zj-rear-disc-conversion-8-25-write-up-whole-truth-607435/ It's on my to do list.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jpgreen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »
One more on my list too I guess, with a new less rusty eagle, I want to modify everything to be as modern as possible, long to do list. Those 17s dont look too bad, I definatly might consider after noticing the difference in rotating mass with heavy steelies and 235s on the other eagle (dosent stop or go much).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk