News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 12:18:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soft Clutch, Won't shift into gear, full resevoir  (Read 12615 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Soft Clutch, Won't shift into gear, full resevoir
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
The clutch master seals can bypass inside without leaking. If the clutch pedal isn't centered to the cylinder, it can "tilt" the clutch plunger so air comes in from the back. Happened 3 times with new clutch mastercylinders on my Comanche before I noticed the bend.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 02:17:57 AM »
Before you think items bent or master bad, the connecting tube the soft one can look ok outside but make impossible the the fluid to reach the part needed front brake hoses and clutch systems all can fail this way, these eagles are very old the inside of the flex tubes were lined with a steel rib, once that rib inside the flex tub rots the tub becomes bloked by the rotted rib inside, take the fluid from the cluch tank bleed it almost dry, leave just about a 8th of a inch in the fluid bottle, now you will need two ppeople one to sit in your eagle drivers seat and you outside the eagle looking down the bottle, have your person sitting in the eagle depress clutch, you watch the 8th of inch fluid very carefull if the fluid drains out when cluch depressed now have the person slowly take foot off pedal, if fluid does not return to bottle your line inside has rotted and must be replaced as the first depress of clutch has presure on it but not enough your hose is restricking the fluid flow so everthing will look ok but the rotted line won't depress or unnpress the clutch change line clean bottle holding fluid reinstall repeat test if fluid comes back to your bottle, you will find your clutch fixed.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »
Thank you for your help everyone, Im still figuring things out, but I went out this morning to tackle the issue, and it went into every gear just fine. The reservoir is very dirty, so im thinking it is those rotted ribs clogging things up, but I'm still not certain

Offline RYNOEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 09:02:06 PM »
Here's what the deal was.

Took off the Slave Cyl and Master Cyl. Found that when I did the reservoir didnt empty itself. The rubber hose leading to the Master Cyl had rotted and the inner layer clogged the hose. Easy fix. I installed a brand new Master Cyl when I threw it all together and it didnt work properly, or so I thought.

The pedal was still very soft. I took the new master cyl out, put the old one back in and still nothing.

The problem ended up being because I couldnt bleed the thing properly. Despite trying over and over and over, it wouldnt bleed well enough to shift well.

I ended up bleeding as you would with brakes. Pump it up, hold it, open and close the bleeder, repeat. I did that until no more air came out, and it still wasnt good enough.

I then pulled the rod all the way into the Slave Cyl and openned the bleeder while the person in the car had the pedal UP.

Once I yelled that the bleeder was wide open, the person in the car slowly lowered the pedal.

Once the pedal hit the floor, I close the bleeder and allowed the rod to return all the way back to it's usual position as the pedal was slowly raised.

After the initial fluid loss, almost no fluid came out. But the pressure afterwards was good.

I'm going to try again tomorrow, seeing as I never actually saw fluid come out, and I was only holding back the rod with my hand. Ill try getting a ratchet strap on the fork and keeping it in place this weekend and seeing how that goes.

Hope this helps someone else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk