News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 23, 2024, 03:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speedometer / Transfer case question  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Dymers

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Speedometer / Transfer case question
« on: October 20, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
Hello !
I'm a new owner of a 1981 Eagle SX4 with a manual transmission. I have a question : my speedometer was not working but I tested the cluster and it's ok. I removed the cable adaptor to the transmission and I will change it for a new one. But I don't know which kind of oil goes inside ( I see this little plate besides the hole that's written ''use 10w30 engine oil'') and I don't know how to fill it once the adaptor in place. Do you have any tips ??

Thanks !

Online rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Speedometer / Transfer case question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »
On the side of the transmission is a plug about halfway up the side. remove the plug and fill fluid there fill to spill.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »
Here's a pic to help. This is not an Eagle transfer case, just using the pic off the net for reference. I believe at first 10w30 was specified for the transfer cases, than that was changed to Dexron. If you have 10w30 I think I would stick with that. I'd hate to put in a different type of oil after 30+ years. With the vehicle level, you add oil to the fill plug until in drips out. I use a fluid transfer pump that I bought at the auto parts store.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:01:14 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
I run synthetic ATF in mine because of it's anti-wear additives. Not very expensive in the long run.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
It's not necessary to put oil in the speedometer hole. Install your cable in the hole...lining up the lugs on the retainer with the slots on the cable...and then fill the transfer case. Lubricant will make its way back to the speedometer gears the first time you drive it. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Dymers

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 08:42:43 PM »
Thanks for your help !! I think it was a 10w30 oil inside transfer case. Can I drain it completely and fill up with another oil (maybe synthetic oil ) without oil contamination ?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
Yes you can. But take into consideration when seals have a certain oil on them for several years and you introduce a different type of oil, there can be leaks. Transfer case are pretty simple. As long as you don't put some thick gear oil in them, anything will work fine.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
ATF is like 5W30 motor oil except it has a much higher detergent.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 11:38:37 PM »
I'll second that comment about going from one oil to another.  I switched to all synthetic lubricants on my car once and I'll be darned if every gasket didn't start puking like it had bad case of salmonella poisoning. Old cars don't like change and seem to get stuck in their ways.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
I switched my Comanche from 10W40 to 15W40 then to synthetic 15W50 (Napa) and it stopped leaking, burning and cut blowby almost totally.

Offline Dymers

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »
Thanks for your help !!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk