News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SBF Swap  (Read 1892 times)

attemptnumber2

SBF Swap
« on: August 07, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
I see a lot of swaps to Jeep 4.0's but has anyone done a Ford 5.0 and an Explorer trans/Tcase? I know my heavy 94 Mustang GT convertible 5.0 gets an average of 19-21 mpg's and that isnt always keeping my foot out of it.

SBF is a small, powerful, buildable, durable little engine. The AOD/AODE transmissions weren't horrible. the engine harness for EFI is pretty much standalone. the Explorer exhaust should all but hook up to the eagle exhaust if I remember right.

So has anyone attempted or completed an EFI SBF w/ ford trans/tcase swap?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: SBF Swap
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »
None that I know of. I had the engine, transmission and transfer case from an Explorer sitting in my garage a few years ago, that was supposed to go in my first Eagle with solid axle swap, but it never happened. I don't see why you want want to hook up the stock Eagle's exhaust since it would be too small, not to mention that would be the easiest part of the swap. You would most likely need to find a rear sump pan and oil pump pick up. I'm not sure of the height of the bottom of the front of the pan to the top of the intake. The oil pump sits a little low and the front of the oil pan isn't as narrow as I think it may need to be.  Mounts would have to be fabricated and a way to mount the front axle since it bolts to the engine. I'd like to see someone do it.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:29:29 AM »
There are tons of Exploders around here for parts with the 5.0 in them. Most are because the auto trans dropped out, so YMMV. I've been looking for a 4.10 rear axle from one for my Comanche (then I'll have the XJ 3.73 axles currently in it for sale)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

attemptnumber2

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »
My plans right now are all the little piddly stuff followed with SAS then 5.0HO with explorer trans, tcase. The mustang pan should give enough clearance. SAS will avoid the axle mounting issue. The 4.2 exhaust will flow enough for a bone stock 5.0. Not saying a little bigger wouldn't be a lot better but would work. I would have dual exhaust made for it but budget build wise it is doable. Most of the explorers in a junk yard are either wrecked or have 300k miles on them and something finally gave in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk