News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 22, 2024, 10:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Roof rack, new wellnuts (>1983)  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Roof rack, new wellnuts (>1983)
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
I had some water leaking into the passenger footwell, a good time to put new wellnuts in the roof rails.
The ones in the Eaglenest store are 1/4" - 20 and come complete with button head screw.

So I ordered some 1/4" -20 wellnuts (without the screws) and found out that the original screws are 1/4" - 28.
This started a search for 1/4" - 28 wellnuts. I found out that there are M6 x 1 wellnuts that have the correct AMC number. M6 x 1 has 25,4 TPI (instead of 28 TPI), but a M6 nut does fit on a 1/4" - 28 screw.
So I have ordered some M6 x 1 wellnuts and the 1/4" - 28 screws do fit.
Here is the table with the wellnut dimensions:

Here is the table with the wellnut dimensions and AMC and GM numbers.

Left the button head with corse thread, right the original one with fine thread

Line up with new wellnuts.

Wiggle the old wellnut out. Use the old screw.

You will pull out the brass nut. The rubber will stay in.

Pull out the rubber next.

Glue the new wellnuts with a drop of superglue into the holes, this will prevent rotation when you screw them down. Clean the plastic profile with some warm water and put the rail back on. Use the original screws and keep screwing until you feel noticable resistance. The wellnut is now compressed and the roof is sealed once more.

This is a good time to take the locking mechanism of the roof carriers apart.
Use a steel brush on the little anvil bolts and put it back together with some grease.
The thread is anti-clockwise.
Locking = clockwise (seen from above)
Unlocking  = anti-clockwise.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Roof rack, new wellnuts (>1983)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Jurjen, the metric well nuts worked perfect for me.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk