News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 03:32:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Return to action  (Read 1915 times)

Offline torcue

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Return to action
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »
   I'm not exactly new... I was on here a LOT around 10 years ago. Doing a lot of work on my Eagle, driving SCCA amateur rally. Until my "bulletproof" AMC l6 locked up on me, and circumstances at the time (moving across country) forced me to leave it in storage in Michigan. I had done a ton of research and planning, and am always happy to help others where I can. unfortunately, right now, I have a LOT to re-learn.
Fast forward to today.
Living in Vegas, making guns for a living, house, wife and new baby boy. And the urge to get my Eagle back decides to make me crazy enough to do it. Shipping is too expensive, but, now I have a friend that needs a car moved from here back to MI. So the crazy plan forms. Planned for end of May, a friend and I are going to drive that to MI, rebuild the engine in the Eagle, and drive the Eagle on Route 66 all the way back here. and...  I'LL HAVE MY EAGLE BACK!
This may qualify as my mid-life crisis .)

My car is an '86 Eagle Wagon in classic AMC two-tone blue. Currently on 30" tires (planned to go 33" on stock suspension.) Automatic (may go to 4-speed auto, eventually.) AWD switched to a lever through the floor (may go back if I can find the vac motor.) Jeep headers with 2.5" straight run exhaust. Plan to do TBI conversion and finish doing HEI.
*Bad Stuff:
It has sat for almost 10 years... But the chassis and suspension all SEEM to be in good shape.
Door locks and latches are likely all seized up.
Trunk is damaged - my father decided to break into it to check what was inside.
Tires probably need replace, and its not ready for 33" yet (diff gearing)
Interior is all questionable at this point.
Engine (obviously) needs at least a partial rebuild.
-Haven't been able to find a CRANKSHAFT yet.
--If anyone knows where to get a good re-manned at a fair price, PLEASE let me know.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
Re: Return to action
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
Welcome back!  Its cool that you still have that Eagle passion in you!

You may consider picking up a used 258 engine rather than rebuilding yours.  You can sometimes find them cheap on Craigslist, and it will allow you to get the car out to Vegas.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
Well that just sounds like a great trip! Please document with photos and videos as much as you can!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 02:22:57 AM »
You say you've planned to put it on 33's with stock suspension.  Are you cutting the fenders?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »
Welcome to the Den. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk