News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 24, 2024, 08:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loose cable remote mirrors  (Read 8499 times)

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
Loose cable remote mirrors
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:42:09 AM »
Surprised searching didn't turn anything up on these, maybe my issue is unique  ;D

My cable remote mirrors flop around inside the housing, especially side to side on the passenger, and there's related slop in the adjustment.  I'm guessing that whatever holds either the sheath or the cable is loose on one end or the other.  I tried to look into the mirror, but I can't tell if they're meant to come apart and I certainly don't want to break them trying.

Tips/tricks?
They're sure a lot smaller than the towing mirrors I'm used to on the Ram but if aligned right and not flapping in the breeze I think they'd suit my needs just fine.  I'd rather not swap them out for manual if I can avoid it, I love remote adjust...
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Loose cable remote mirrors
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
I had this issue with the sx/4, I had the write up on how to go about this, but it was lost in the great delete, lol.  This is a rotal PITA to do, remove the mirror from the car, find all the phillips head screws, and remove them. There are a few behind the glass that are really tough to get to, but if you have a bit, or one of those "L" shaped drivers it's possible. Once you have the all the screws out, you'll be able to pull the glass, with swivel assembly out. Notice your cable are crimped. The only way I saw to fix the floopy glass, is to GENTLY un-crimp (I stress gently because it's just cast, and breaks easily), tighten the cable by sliding the cable casing, the carefully re crimp. I endd up breaking one of the cable crimps, like I said it's cast and doesn't take well to bending more than once, I used epoxy to ensure the cable wouldn't go anywhere. It does work though, but likely only be able to do this one time.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:59 AM »
I added a little set of those 2" convex mirrors on mine, down in the lower outer right hand corner, they are stick on, are cheap and are awesome. No more blind spots , I even have them on my Caddy.

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
I had this issue with the sx/4, I had the write up on how to go about this, but it was lost in the great delete, lol.  This is a rotal PITA to do, remove the mirror from the car, find all the phillips head screws, and remove them. There are a few behind the glass that are really tough to get to, but if you have a bit, or one of those "L" shaped drivers it's possible. Once you have the all the screws out, you'll be able to pull the glass, with swivel assembly out. Notice your cable are crimped. The only way I saw to fix the floopy glass, is to GENTLY un-crimp (I stress gently because it's just cast, and breaks easily), tighten the cable by sliding the cable casing, the carefully re crimp. I endd up breaking one of the cable crimps, like I said it's cast and doesn't take well to bending more than once, I used epoxy to ensure the cable wouldn't go anywhere. It does work though, but likely only be able to do this one time.

Awesome, thanks.

Is there enough slack in the cables to do this at the car or do I need to release the cables/ handles at the other end too.
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
I'm not sure if this can be done with the remotes still attached in the dash (you did say passenger side right?). I did mine when I had the mirrors off, you could try it though, there may be enough slack to do it.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
Passenger is worse but they both have to be done.
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Offline masternull

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »

neat trick that worked for my wobbly loose cable remote mirrors

undid the hex screws to the body, pulled the mirror housing away from the door a bit, and rotated the entire mirror housing around 360 degrees (twisted it around once), this tightened up the cables just enough to remove the wobble !

lemme know if this works for others....

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 10:45:26 PM »

neat trick that worked for my wobbly loose cable remote mirrors

undid the hex screws to the body, pulled the mirror housing away from the door a bit, and rotated the entire mirror housing around 360 degrees (twisted it around once), this tightened up the cables just enough to remove the wobble !

lemme know if this works for others....

Thanks for the tip, and thumbs up to you!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »
I had the write up on how to go about this, but it was lost in the great delete
so an I wrong, or wouldn't all this be in forums1.amceaglesden.com ?
If I remember from asking about it, it was created to preserve all the old topics.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
I had the write up on how to go about this, but it was lost in the great delete
so an I wrong, or wouldn't all this be in forums1.amceaglesden.com ?
If I remember from asking about it, it was created to preserve all the old topics.

We had 2 great deletes on the old forum, (it's been years ago) well before the Den came along sadly. A lot of very helpful info was lost.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:11:42 PM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
oh.  well, I guess I'm wrong.  :P

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
I believ Ken has backups that go back before the great deletes. From what I heared Ken wanted to restore those to the links youngkyle provided
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk