News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 16, 2024, 03:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to check when looking at an Eagle  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
What to check when looking at an Eagle
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »
Howdy all,

Might be looking at another Eagle in the next few days. I'm a tad rusty as to where to look for problem areas in them (body/frame wise). I'm pretty familiar with what I should be listening to in the engine.

But lets treat this as a person new to Eagles. What would you make sure to look at before plunking down the cash? This is what I can think of quickly offhand :

Frame :
- the unibody archetecture lends itself to rot. Check the whole frame and sub-bodies for any rot

Body
- rocker panels rot out beneath the plastic covers
- at the firewall check for any rot, at the same time lift the carpets inside and look for rot going directly into the frame (unibody)
- as with any vehicle, lift the carpets up at the edges inside by the doors. Rot accumulates here and can be masked by rocker panels
- shock mounts / engine mounts

Engine
- the old 4.2L / 4.0L are hard as heck to kill. But in saying that, the 6th cylinder is usually starved of oil, listen for any odd sounds in each cylinder (use a hockey stick or broom handle, place on engine at each cylnder and put your ear up to it)
- oil leaks around the valve cover are normal, but cracked valve covers aren't. These also come loose.
-

Interior
- dashes crack in the heat, plastic trim becomes brittle
- headliner will sag - an upholsterer can repair for relatively cheap

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: What to check when looking at an Eagle
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »
There is a write up in the Eaglepedia with some good tips of what to looks for

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/index.php?title=Eagle_Buying_Tips

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk