News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:24:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Shock Option thoughts  (Read 3055 times)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Front Shock Option thoughts
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »
Just a question/comment/thought concerning front shocks for the Eagle. Obviously its an odd design with the two bolts on the lower end and its rather small compared to most shocks (about 9 inches compressed/13.5 extended according to KYB's tech specs). See:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-343156/overview/year/1983/make/american-motors/model/eagle

I remembered my Grand Cherokee shocks basically having the same upper mount and the bottom was a standard mount but with a pin though it that allowed for bolting down with two bolts ) See:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-kg4515/overview/

Why couldn't a shock like the Grand Cherokee one with the installation of a pin (t-bar) in the lower mount to bolt the shock to the factory Eagle location be used? So I did some searching through KYBs pages and came across the shocks designed for the Ford Bronco II. According to their Tech Specs, its 9.84 inches compressed and 14.45 inches extended. Of course would need a T-bar kit to go through the lower mount hole: See:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-bar350k/overview/

Part of the reason I looked at the Bronco II shocks is because companies that make off road shocks (rancho for sure, probably others) make shocks for the Bronco II. Might give us more options. Again, just throwing this out there for thoughts and comments.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Front Shock Option thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
70's ford granada shocks bolt right in. they are a tad shorter. '62-68 chevy II shocks are bolt in also, but a tad longer. i havent had a chance yet to see if the longer chevy ii shocks bottom out at full compression before the bump stop tho. the longer shock will sure allow for alot more suspension drop as long as they dont bottom out before the bumpstop.
62 rambler classic 2 door (casper)
63 rambler american 440 (rosie)
79 spirit (drag race car)
82 eagle station wagon (rotty wagon)
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
70's ford granada shocks bolt right in. they are a tad shorter. '62-68 chevy II shocks are bolt in also, but a tad longer. i havent had a chance yet to see if the longer chevy ii shocks bottom out at full compression before the bump stop tho. the longer shock will sure allow for alot more suspension drop as long as they dont bottom out before the bumpstop.

That's the problem though Casper, those are all stock style replacement shocks. Was looking for something a little better than stock.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:37:21 AM »
IIRC...someone, years ago, posted about installing Monroe air shocks on the front of his Eagle. I can't remember which shock he used but it needed some mods on the bottom mount. I searched the forum but couldn't find the post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk