News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 10:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: engine ticking/clicking  (Read 8665 times)

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
engine ticking/clicking
« on: August 11, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
my eagle has developed a ticking sound that i am reasonably certain is coming from the engine.  all belts appear to be aligned correctly and nothing else seems to be loose.  it is a light ticking/clicking noise and does not seem to favor any particular speed -- i have experienced it at idle, 35mph, 65mph, etc.  it is definitely tied to engine speed, as it is faster when running it higher rpms and slower at slower rpms.  i have asked around and i have heard ideas regarding pushrods and rocker arms.  next week i am replacing my plastic valve cover so this will give me a great opportunity to look for obvious damage -- is there anything that would be a dead giveaway as to the problem?  or any ideas i am overlooking?  thanks for the help...
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: engine ticking/clicking
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:40:50 AM »
How many miles does your Eagle have on it?
Do you know if it still has the original timing gear set? Those are nylon and they wear out, break off in pieces and can fail your engine miserably.

I had a ticking noise and it was coming from the timing cover. I borrowed a friends stethocope/mechanics. It was my timing chain hitting against the timing cover...slapping. Had it changed out and all is well. Some I-6's do have a little tick in the rocker arms too. Again, either the mechanics steth or changing out your plastic cover to an aluminum and see if the rockers are loose.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:36:05 AM »
88k...was considering replacing all rocker arms just to be safe, but if it isn't necessary i will just tighten them...

chances are it's the original timing gear.  sound seems to be coming from the side closest to the interior of the car (firewall?? i don't know all tech terms yet...just getting into this)

thanks for your help
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
Could be an exhaust leak between the manifold and head.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
Can all so be a bad spark plug cable.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »
Or the fuel pump, to test it you can hold the fuel line and feel if ticking and pulsing is at the same moment. If the fuel pump is as old as the Eagle, you better replace it anyway.
They are not expensive @ $15.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:19:17 AM »
Results are (somewhat) in...a couple arms were indeed more wiggly than others which would very likely explain the sound. tightened them as best i could to match up with the more stable ones.

I would also like to check the timing gear, where exactly is it located? I am still learning the ins and outs of the engine compartment...
I am also going to check the fuel line/pump just to be sure after everything is all put back together.

Also began drilling/tapping the holes for the new valve cover...while not as scary as i thought it was going to be, it is still exhaustive work...nearly 8 hours went into removing the cover and tapping one hole...
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 03:52:31 AM »
The timing gear is on the front side of the engine. The cover is diagonally behind the fan on the lower part of the engine. You can find it in the Eaglepedia too.

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Section_11%2C_Engine_Components

Section 11.40.4
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
Could be simple engine pinging if the timing is too far advanced.  My vote is eitehr that or exhaust leak.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
Results are (somewhat) in...a couple arms were indeed more wiggly than others which would very likely explain the sound. tightened them as best i could to match up with the more stable ones.

I would also like to check the timing gear, where exactly is it located? I am still learning the ins and outs of the engine compartment...
I am also going to check the fuel line/pump just to be sure after everything is all put back together.

Also began drilling/tapping the holes for the new valve cover...while not as scary as i thought it was going to be, it is still exhaustive work...nearly 8 hours went into removing the cover and tapping one hole...
Just remember that there will NOT be the same pressure on them all,depending on the cam position on that push rod/lifter assembly or not.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 07:56:33 AM »
gopak, our motors are HYDRAULIC lifters. there should ALWAYS be pressure on them. shouldnt ever be any slop between pushrods and rockers. if there is slack, and your rocker studs/bolts are tight, you have collapsed lifters, or a wiped out cam. our hydraulic lifters have a spring that pushes up on the pushrod. oil pressure fills up that area and keeps the spring from compressing. thats where hydraulic flat tappet motors get their rpm limits due to "valve float". the oil cant keep the lifters full, the springs collapse, and then your valves start opening late and irratically. my lifters were just wore out and collapsed.
True , Casper, and I was trying to figure out how to word my post correctly.Thanks man !! I do think - though- there is still a slight difference in pressure at the rocker arm depending on if that valve is at full lift compared to one at 0 lift , thus the feeler gauge setting spec. . LOL am I on the right track here ??

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »
engine was quiet yesterday when i gave it a spin to make sure i put my valve cover on right...didn't go far, so we'll see.

also just got my tsm in the mail yesterday, so all options are valid and much more accessible at this point  :P
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline skuhler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »
Did your motor quiet down?  I'm thinking about replacing some lifters and bridged pivots with some from a junkyard, have you ever tried that?

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »
Shell Rotella T Keeps my 258 quiet unless shes under load.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk