News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 29, 2024, 01:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power loss up hill  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
Power loss up hill
« on: October 24, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
86 sedan 258 with 2150 mc. She makes this hill every morning except today. Can't find any new vacuume leaks. Oil and coolant a little low. Seems like exhaust is a little wetter than usual. I think she was getting enough fuel because I could smell gas. She was warm enough for the choke to be open and the choke does open when warm,I watched it open slowly. Then started to overheat when sitting but cooled rapidly when driving,I could watch the gadge dropping. Also now the 4" or 10" vacuum switch is broken and if I push the now exposed button the motor revs up. Then she seemed fine this afternoon. :banghead:

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Power loss up hill
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
Had the same problem awhile back going up inclines. turned out to be the ignition coil.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
Will that come and go? Already planing on a DUI ignition and just running a stand alone engine. Is there any chance of an intake leaking coolant into combustion chamber?

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
My problem didn't come & go - it simply eventually got worse - loss of power all the time. I ran the carb richer to compensate but realized I was chasing the wrong solution. Rebuilding the carb did nothing. Finally I figured it was the coil.. If your concerned about coolant - check your exhaust - should show some white smoke.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
Moisture in the air can cause coils to arc down the outside. Especially if caked in crud and the coil horseshoe connector is corroded. Water in the fuel too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Sandeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • 86 sedan 84 wagon
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »
Turns out the alt. Belt was a little loose and I just wasn't getting enough pop. With as low a spark power as there is in the system  you need all there is. D.U.I. Is going to be ordered as soon as I figure out which one to buy. I don't want the skip white it sounds to cheep. I don't mind buy once cry once at $300.00! Which one do you suggest?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk