News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:37:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Eagle was part of my childhood  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
The Eagle was part of my childhood
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
Hi there. I don't own an Eagle or even know much of anything about cars, so I figure that means I'm just a groupie. My folks bought a white Eagle wagon back in '86 because my mom didn't want to slide to her death on our snowy Pennsylvania mountains. I was still in elementary school then. I logged many fine hours as a passenger in that car. While I was in college my mom had to head out to Missouri for her job and she took the Eagle with her. I remember going out to visit her and to start the car she had to pop the hood and shove a stick into the carburetor. That was inconvenient, so by the time I came back for another visit my grandpa had modified it so that there was a cord she could pull out from the dashboard instead. I guess the car ran okay otherwise because they eventually sold it to somebody in the Sedalia area who had owned an Eagle in the past and wanted another one. I used to figure that car only lasted another year or two tops, but after stumbling across this site I can't help wondering if it's still on the road. I hope it is.  :hello2:

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: The Eagle was part of my childhood
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »
Welcome to the Den and your first Thumbs Up.   Once you have had an Eagle in your family you will want one again.  I am guessing your grandpa installed a hand choke to the carb.  That was an effective way to reduce flooding a cold engine.  My Ambassador has one when the 4 bbl carb was added.  Kind of a theft deterrent for those who don't know how to work a hand choke.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »
Are you still in Missouri?

Hope you can have an Eagle again some day!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
Kind of a theft deterrent for those who don't know how to work a hand choke.

LOL at theft deterrent. I hadn't thought of that before. Now I almost want one in my car. ;) ...and there's no way your average car thief has even the first clue what a hand choke is. I've just learned what it is here myself.

Are you still in Missouri?

I am in Pennsylvania. I have a lot of family in Missouri, though. I love it out there.

Hope you can have an Eagle again some day!

That would be cool. My retirement dream involves moving to Missouri and living in the countryside. I'm lacking in a long list of self-sufficiency skills, though, automobile maintenance among them. I guess that's why it's just a dream.

Anyway, a big thumbs up to everybody who knows how to keep these classics going. Perhaps I'll spot one on the road around here now that I know to be on the lookout.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:45:47 PM »
The learning never stops around here.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk