News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 30, 2024, 10:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is not staying engaged here?  (Read 5467 times)

Offline kenrunner

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
What is not staying engaged here?
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
I've read through previous posts and found several things that might apply to my problem and finally figured describing it and asking for input might clarify things. It started when I attempted to manually switch from 4 to 2 wheel drive ( this is an 84 SW w/auto trans. ) by going underneath and turning the nut to move the switch. I had the car on jack stands and first checked to see that is was actually in 4wd by putting in drive to see which wheels turned. To my surprise none did. I depressed the accelerator for more power heard kind of a pop and then saw the front wheels turning. Looked at the rear and they were still, which was when I realized I had not released the emergency brake. Once released, they also turned but there was now an extra noise that I can only describe as sounding like there was something loose that had not been previously. I proceeded to move switch to 2wd. Upon driving it I found that the noise increased and it seemed like the transmission was slipping as I the engine would rev rapidly while the car speed increased only slowly. My first thought was that I had done something to the transmission, but on describing the situation over the phone to my mechanic, he thought it was much more likely the problem was in the transfer case, that perhaps in trying to make the switch I something had not been fully engaged. I took his suggestion of trying to put it back in 4wd and see what happened. Sure enough it ran fine. I then tried again to put in 2wd and at first everything seemed normal but within 1/4 mile it slipped out and I had the over reving, noise and slipping on acceleration. Back into 4wd and it seems ok. Is there an easy way to get 2wd to work or should I just leave in 4? Thanks for any help. Ken

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: What is not staying engaged here?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
Sounds like your front axle disconnect is not working properly.  If it is disconnected while in 4wd, you will get the over-reving you described.  The Clunk was probably the splined coupler popping off the right front axle in the shfter housing.  

Take off the skid plate under the front right part of the axle and make sure your vacuum actuator is working properly.  There are posts on here that describe how to lock it in full time.  You can still use the switch on the fly functionality of the TC, driving with the front locked in does not hurt anything.  Driving with the front disengaged while in 4wd WILL  hurt the TC, specifically the viscous coupling if you have one.

* I will re-phrase and add.
Based on your last comment, driving in 4wd, then it started over revving and not accelerating, I would guess your front axle disconnect is not working correctly.  Others should be able to confirm or suggest otherwise.  I would check that first.

If you manually switched the TC from under the car, and did not rotate far enough, you could have popped into "false neutral" as well.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:06:40 PM by lapoltba »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
If you manually switched the TC from under the car, and did not rotate far enough, you could have popped into "false neutral" as well.
That would be my guess also.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »
Sounds like it's not fully engaging into 2wd, mine does that as my vac actuator is "tired" stays in 4wd just fine, when I switch to 2wd in the spring I just use some wire to help it stay put, but just leaving it in 4wd wouldn't hurt anything either
if it is not fully engaged it will act like it's slipping

I would also second lapoltba and tell you to go ahead and lock the front axle, I did, one less thing to worry about messing up plus you can eliminate several feet of vacuum hose, there are several write ups about it here on the nest, it's a simple  procedue to do
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline kenrunner

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »
The false neutral is definitely one of the things that I thought fit my symptoms. I guess I will keep it in 4wd or try to wire it in place if I shift to 2. I have seen some of the threads on locking the front axle and may review and try. Thanks for helping point me in what direction to go.
Ken

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »
I had the same problem a few days ago. I was going to use a carb choke cable to turn the 4w on and off but know I think I'm going to get a New vacuum can and keep everything stock. Anyone know the part numbers or who has the axle shift and transfer shift motors? I have been looking online for days found lots of good info here but no part numbers.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »
The tcase one is the same as 84-91 Grand Wagoneers and available at http://bjsoffroad.com in the same 2 styles used in Eagles. One has 2 hose ports ('86-91) and the other has 3 ports. If you want to go to switch on the fly, permanently engage the front axle and then use the 2 port  style and you will only need 2 hoses to the dash switch, then you can remove the pin on the switch and all the other hose rubbish except the vacuum ball and hose to the switch.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline skuhler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:06:40 AM »
My 86 seems to be in 4wd all the time,  at least from the way it performs on the snow.  I thought it would be ok, except maybe for the gas mileage, is it ok that it's in? 

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 08:29:59 AM »
Yes.  But you should trouble shoot the issue when you can.  My guess is the s TC case shift motor is not functioning as it should.  Either a vacuum issue or a bad TC shift motor.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
When I got my first Eagle wagon, I thought it was in 4x4 and drove everywhere all winter. Come spring I tried to drive up a little muddy hill and only the rear wheels spun. When I looked under the dash ALL the vacuum hoses were missing!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk