News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 01:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Putting body panels back together - what goes inbetween them?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
So it's finally time to start putting these back together.
I noticed when I took them apart that there was two different materials used between the panels.
Running along the top of the engine bay there was some gooey material with a string running through it between the chassis and the fender. And There was a bondo like material between the fenders and the front air dam. They are now long gone as they were cleaned off when I removed all the rust and repainted.

Do I need to replace them? Only other car I ever took body panels off of, my Jeep, didn't have anything like that. What were they and what purpose did they serve?
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon w/ 1988 258 and front axle, 727/NP-229 combo, Hurst shifter + twin sticks, and power bulge hood.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Putting body panels back together - what goes inbetween them?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »
The stuff with the string it it is 3M Strip Caulk. It's the same stuff holding the tar paper inside the doors and many other uses.

The bondo-material may be bondo? I'm not sure, but I know what you're talking about.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »
I totally forgot about that stuff when I was reassembling my Eagle so none of it got put back in.  The stuff between the fenders and front air dam is not bondo, it has some flexibility.  I think its probably just a caulking that has gotten very stiff over the years.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:34:02 PM by priya »

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »
thanks!

I ordered some of the caulk strip. Think I may just use that at the other spot since it seems like I'll have plenty left over.
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon w/ 1988 258 and front axle, 727/NP-229 combo, Hurst shifter + twin sticks, and power bulge hood.

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »
I used some white seam sealer from the local body supply, cost $8 for a tube that fits in a caulking gun.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk