News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 05:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: torque converter for 1982 spirit with iron duke and 904  (Read 4764 times)

Offline cocline71

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
torque converter for 1982 spirit with iron duke and 904
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
I am having a hard time finding the right torque converter for my 1982 spirit with the 151 engine.  I need a three pad 27 spline non-lockup converter that goes from 904 tranny to gm flywheel.  Can anyone help me out here?  I have searched all over the internet without any success.  I am considering putting a chevy th350 on instead.  Does anyone know if the fly whel will work for the th350 or what size I would need if I decide to go this way?  Also, should it be a th350 chevy bolt pattern or BOP?
Thanks, Colby Cline

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: torque converter for 1982 spirit with iron duke and 904
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »
the 151 has a SBC bolt pattern, lots of engines you can bolt right up to your 904, or going the other way the 151 can bolt to a th350 as well as far as the bellhousing goes

Not sure about the flywheel / TC it may be an odd peice to mate a chevy to a chrysler, hmmm have to think about that one....

My Spirit had a 151 mated to an SR4, so its a chevy to ford bell
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
You may have the wrong flex plate. Torque Command transmissions were four pad. That sounds like it's a GM transmission flex plate.

Changing the flex plate is tons easier than trying to mount a foreign transmission. Just pick up the correct one at the parts store. Tell them an '82 CJ 5 if they don't believe you.

It may or may not work with a 350, but a 200r4 would be a better choice if you're going to the effort to put a new transmission behind a 151. The 350 could have one of two different spacings on the torque converter, so you have a chance you'll get the right one.

The 151 in AMC applications is a Chevy SBC v8 pattern, the 151 for the same year GM 151 is a metric v6 pattern.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
thanks Ben for the clarification

The folks on this forum will find you the right answer

Not to cause further confusion but the AMC I4 used the GM v6 pattern as well, go figure
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline cocline71

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »
I am sure that the flywheel is correct.  The torque converter bolts to it and fits the transmission correctly.  I am thinking that having the torque converter rebuilt might be my best option.  It's amazing how many different parts AMC used on vehicles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk