News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 02:03:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 727 problem PLEASE HELP  (Read 4168 times)

Offline dredevil

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Perigee Power
727 problem PLEASE HELP
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:54:47 PM »
I put my 727 in my eagle and it is having some problems shifting.

Reverse and 1st (I think) are good. but it don't shift into 3rd. I never feel it shift into 2nd ether but if I am moving and I manual shift into 1st I can feel it down shift. I have set my kick down linkage in every possible position but no change. :banghead: I am going to attempt to rebuild it myself but I was wondering if someone might know where this problem is coming from.

any help will be appreciated!!!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: 727 problem PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:59:51 PM »
What's happening when you pull the shift lever into the "1" position is that you're engaging the rear band. In other ranges it's handled by an overrunning clutch, and the rear band is not doing anything. When the lever is in "2" or "D" position and the car is moving too slowly to upshift out of first the overrunning clutch allows the engine to return to idle speed when you release the accelerator. Pulling the lever into "1" allows engine compression braking by engaging the rear band.

In fewer words...I don't think you're attaining second or third gear. Shift points are controlled by the governor and the kickdown linkage. You don't say in what condition the 727 was when you put it in, and I'm assuming it sat for a while.

I suspect the governor is stuck. It's located under a round cover at the back of the transmission at the rear of the transmission section. The transfer case and adapter housing must be removed to gain access. It's not necessary to remove the transmission from your car. That's where I would start.

Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:38:31 PM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline dredevil

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Perigee Power
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
That's great  info! I will give that a try.

The Trans was sitting for a while and the pan was kind of muddy but still redish.

Offline dredevil

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Perigee Power
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »
I don't think the 4x4 units have the round plate. Looks like I need to remove the T-Case and the tail shaft to get to the  governor. Am I missing something?

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »
I don't think the 4x4 units have the round plate. Looks like I need to remove the T-Case and the tail shaft to get to the  governor. Am I missing something?
Yup, you are right. I should have double-checked it before I started typing. I guess I was thinking Allison/GM at the time. I've edited my original post.

Typically, the first thing I do on just about any sort of an automatic transmission problem is change fluid and filter.  Other than checking fluid level it's the simplest procedure one can perform, and many times will resolve the problem.

To get to the governor you will need to remove the transfer case and the adapter housing. It is not necessary to pull the tail shaft. The governor will be readily visible on the parking gear at the back of the transmission.  :eagle:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:39:33 PM by eaglebeek »
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Offline dredevil

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Perigee Power
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »
I am going to give that a try this weekend. What should I use to clean the governor?

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »
You can use any commercial carburetor cleaner.

Disassemble it first. After removing the transfer case and adapter housing turn the tailshaft so the weight end of the governor faces down. Take off the small e-shaped clip in the center and remove the governor components. Then use snap ring pliers to pull out the larger snap ring and take out the weight. You do not need to nor do I recommend taking off the 4 bolts holding the back parts on.

If either the e-clip or the snap ring fly away you can get replacements at the hardware store. :eagle:

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
I put a clear bag over them or mount a magnet to catch anything that tries to fly away.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline dredevil

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Perigee Power
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Its alive!!!! :)  :hello2:

The small end of the governor was stuck real good. I can't thank you enough!!!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
Yeah!!! Glad to hear it was a relatively easy fix!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »
Congrats to you, dredevil. Happy to read it's alive :eagle:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk