News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 10:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '89 YJ with a 4.2  (Read 3347 times)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
'89 YJ with a 4.2
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »
There's a local listing for an 89 jeep.. 4.2 and Auto parting out.. Anything that my fellow Nest members are aware of that are worth looking at? Swap over to my 81 Kammback?

I know right where this is sitting and will go by there on my split here at work..
I think from a quick look the Axle has the gears I want. Can I use the front gears in my Eagle?
3.54's  are what I really want to get put in..
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:40:43 PM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: '89 YJ with a 4.2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »
It's possible it's 3.54, but more likely 3.08. The front diff is probably low pinion D30, but make sure it's not high pinion first. Not sure on the pinion gear length issue. XJs with tow package and D44 are 3.54 or 3.73. Aside from shock mounts they bolt into the Eagle. An 8.25 from an XJ requires wider U-bolts because the tubes are larger diameter.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
It's possible it's 3.54, but more likely 3.08. The front diff is probably low pinion D30, but make sure it's not high pinion first. Not sure on the pinion gear length issue. XJs with tow package and D44 are 3.54 or 3.73. Aside from shock mounts they bolt into the Eagle. An 8.25 from an XJ requires wider U-bolts because the tubes are larger diameter.
On another forum they list it stock with auto being 3.54 Any of those gears are better than what I have..
According to what I can see it's a high pinion D30 from tech info on the Jeep related forum
Rear axle though would fit across if I wanted and the price is right with no mods to the drive shaft?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:10:22 PM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »
Rear axle could be M20, D35 or D44 in the YJ. It requires welding in springpads and shock mounts.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
Unless someone changed them they''ll  be 354's, and the front axle will be a high pinion so you can't use those gears. You'll wanna look for a grand cherokee for low pinion D30 gears. Also it'll have a D35 rear axle and the perches will be way off and shock mounts are different. You would be better off to find a 8.25 chrystler out of a 4.0 cherokee with a auto trans. You gotta swap the shock mounts but alot easier than setting up gears on both ends. Good luck.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »
Unless someone changed them they''ll  be 354's, and the front axle will be a high pinion so you can't use those gears. You'll wanna look for a grand cherokee for low pinion D30 gears. Also it'll have a D35 rear axle and the perches will be way off and shock mounts are different. You would be better off to find a 8.25 chrystler out of a 4.0 cherokee with a auto trans. You gotta swap the shock mounts but alot easier than setting up gears on both ends. Good luck.
Appreciate the responses.. I had time here to see the problems.. Rear axle may be useful but would have to replace the front gears..
Was hoping it was an old enough jeep. But needs to be 1 more year older to have the standard rotation..

Rear axle could be M20, D35 or D44 in the YJ. It requires welding in springpads and shock mounts.
Though the rear axle as you stated would be a stronger option depending on price, D35 or D44...Correct?
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
Grand Cherokee is coil spring rear. No spring perches. XJ rear axle is definitely an upgrade to the Eagle one. The front is useless for parts for the Eagle (other than calipers and rotors if you have a later model). Find someone with a Grand Cherokee they want to lift and swap front diffs if they have 3.55 (high pinion lowers the driveshaft angle when you are lifted.)

You will need to shorten the rear driveshaft (unless lifting 3"+ at the same time) for anything other than the D35.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »
For the front you need long low pinion gears. Which came in CJ's and other vehicles like old Ford Broncos. Any of the later Jeeps are short pinions. Plus based on what I have seen others  go through, you need 3.54's up front. 3.55's won't work and most later Jeeps use 3.55's.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk