News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 28, 2024, 02:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternator wiring question, 83 Eagle  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Alternator wiring question, 83 Eagle
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
Helping a buddy make sense of an '83 Eagle. Wiring harness has been gutted for the most part. It has the Delco alternator with the 2 pin clip on the side and the single stud out the back. We're trying to set this car up as simple as possible and just need it to charge the battery.

What can we do for wiring? Big red stud on the rear straight to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid. What about the 2 pin clip? Where should those wires go to?

Thanks!
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Alternator wiring question, 83 Eagle
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »
The #1 post goes to 12v+ from the ignition switch. Post #2 gets a jumper to the battery post on the back of the alternator.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
The #1 post goes to 12v+ from the ignition switch. Post #2 gets a jumper to the battery post on the back of the alternator.

Thanks!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:53:01 AM »
If it doesn't go directly from the main terminal to the battery (ie: shortest route) then run #2 to the battery + or the battery will undercharge. Been there, drove me crazy till I read GM's explanation and why battery post corrosion does the same thing.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
If it doesn't go directly from the main terminal to the battery (ie: shortest route) then run #2 to the battery + or the battery will undercharge. Been there, drove me crazy till I read GM's explanation and why battery post corrosion does the same thing.

IIRC on a normal wiring harness there should be one red and one green wire, correct? If those colors are correct then #2 is red and #1 green? I guess I could always go and look at my Eagle lol.

Probably gonna run it like Eaglefreak suggested.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »
You stated you just want the battery to charge. If you hook up the way I sated, the alternator light will probably be on in the dash if you don't use the original wire, since I believe the 12v+ goes through the ammeter and then to the #1 post. 
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »
Terminal 1 is usually blue or green and goes through the alt light in the dash (full 12 volts can damage the regulator long term and it's feedback can run the ignition system so you need at least a diode to make it shut down, but 10 ohm resistor bypassed around the dash light is factory setup)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
The other option is buy a GM 1 wire alt. Straight to the battery + and a good ground cable from the battery - to the motor and body, it charges whenever the motor is spun up to high idle.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
You stated you just want the battery to charge. If you hook up the way I sated, the alternator light will probably be on in the dash if you don't use the original wire, since I believe the 12v+ goes through the ammeter and then to the #1 post. 

That's the plan. This one is a junkyard rescue turned woods beater. Not an ideal life for an Eagle but much better then the metal muncher.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk