News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 23, 2024, 03:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steering Wheel  (Read 2350 times)

Offline rybaczewski

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Steering Wheel
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »
I'm a very large guy and am currently wearing a hard tortoise-shell brace.  I cannot fit behind the wheel of my newly acquired Eagle Wagon.  Even putting the current tilt-wheel "up" still doesn't provide enough room.  Is there a smaller steering wheel available?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
Its a gm saginaw wheel. look to similar year aftermarket gm wheels.

Manitowoc WI

Offline rybaczewski

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
Thank you.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »
Congrats on your new wagon!! I would think that any number of after market wheels would fit.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rybaczewski

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:19:05 PM »
Thanks.  I can't wait to drive it - First of May!  It needs lots of things and I'm sure I'll have other questions.  I am not a mechanic at all - I know how to open the hood and that's about it.  I am hoping to find an AMC mechanic around here (Toledo, OH) so someone familiar with the car and its known quirks can work on it.  So, for now, it sits and I get to look at it, touch it, start it, be proud of it!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:27:49 PM »
There's a lot of knowledge here on the Eagle Nest so don't be afraid to ask.  These cars aren't that complicated (ok, well maybe they're kind of complicated) and they are fun to work on.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »
Jeep shops are the ones to ask. Most who work on CJs and early YJs should be at home with the drivetrain (FSJs '80 up too)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »
I have this style in my Pacer:
(borrowed image)
It's lower and you sit further back, but the back is non-adjustable. It should fit the seat frame rails on the Eagle, I think all AMC seats are interchangeable that way.

I believe it's just their sport bucket seat. The Eagle got a more luxurious seat standard, and you could get the pillow top on the limited models.

But it's a thought if you're interested.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk