News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 30, 2024, 12:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Car AND Eagle noob - Rescued 1985 Wagon  (Read 11976 times)

Offline mutatedjellyfish

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Car AND Eagle noob - Rescued 1985 Wagon
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »
So bad news...  the worst news, probably.  The tranny guy looked at it and not only is the transmission hosed and the case empty of fuel (so there's been a pretty bad leak), but the transfer case is also completely empty of fluid, so that's probably destroyed too.  In addition, the CV axle on the front passenger side is shot and needs to be fixed asap.

I just don't have this kind of money, so I think I'm gonna have to cut my losses and unload this thing for whatever I can get for it.  I'd love to give it to someone who can fix it or use it; someone who has the know-how to do it themselves instead of rely on other people.  If anyone knows anyone, I'm in Utah.  Everything else is in pretty good shape except for this big stuff.

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
Honestly, if you're feeling frisky it wouldn't be as expensive to do it yourself...

Offline mutatedjellyfish

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 06:50:37 PM »
Yeah I don't have the tools or the time or the know-how.  If someone wants to come out here and help me through it all, I'd LOVE to learn, but I don't see that happening, especially while I'm working 60-hour weeks.  :P

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 09:56:47 PM »
where is here? I'd check around for shops that specialize in Jeeps. Local shop is $500 labor to put a used trans in.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:04:11 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 03:58:21 PM »
That's a real shame. It's a good looking car.

I've done CVs in the driveway before, that's easy. Transmissions can be rough. Don't give up on the transfer case if it's not full of metal shavings, it may have a few miles left if it hasn't been bone dry.

If you can find someone unloading a 998 or 999 from any jeep with a 258 or V8 it will slide right in. You may be able to pick up a transfer case still connected. Wranglers used them for a long time.

Good luck.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
Don't give up on it yet! Shops are notoriously hungry for $$$ and scam artists abound. If I knew where you were at I'd suggest someone near you to go to (I'm on International lists for AMC and Jeep)

First thing I would do is put ATF in the tcase (takes less than an hour to do and not $$$) and then a can or STP engine oil treatment in the trans and check fluid level in NEUTRAL, not park. When you start the car, warm it up in neutral and not park or the fluid won't warm up (Mopar trans have the stupid design of no fluid pumping in park). Put it in gear and let it sit till it fully engages when cold before making it move.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk