News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 07, 2024, 06:30:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine wont start (not sure if this belongs here)  (Read 2801 times)

Offline ANT85MAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Engine wont start (not sure if this belongs here)
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
Last time my Eagle was running was a month ago. Week before Thanksgiving I went to start car and it didn't. I figured dead battery, went to Sears to find out battery was discontinued & got some money back on my battery. I asked question here about battery, thanks to responses I got bought an Interstate group 56 battery on Black Friday. Still didn't start & since then I have replaced the solenoid, ignition module, horn relay (horn didn't work) and starter.
Still doesn't start, starter doesn't even make any noise or turn over. Used tester on all fuses I could get to & they seem good.
Just wondering if anyone had this problem before & what they did to fix it.
1980 Eagle 2 door Sedan
1970 Ford Torino GT Fastback 351-4V
1977 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray 350-4V
1986 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Nissan 370Z

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Engine wont start (not sure if this belongs here)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »
Did you use a volt meter to check voltage at the solenoid? You want to see if you are getting power to the wire going to the "S" terminal on the solenoid when turning the key to the start position. Also, you need to check all wires and connections to the battery, solenoid and starter.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
If it's an auto, make sure the hidden wire on the bottom of the solenoid is still connected.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:03:11 AM »
Neutral Safety Switch on the trans (if auto) may be unplugged as well. The center pin grounds the pin on the back of the solenoid. You can test this by adding a ground wire to that pin and see if it starts.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk