News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 01:15:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sorry Nest...One more question to my kickdown issue  (Read 2064 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Sorry Nest...One more question to my kickdown issue
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
I am sure many of you have seen my kick down woes....I bought my Eagle almost a year ago not realizing that the previous owner who put a new carb on the car did not reinstall the transmission kick down linkage. Ugh. People really need to know these cars before they screw with them. I had a rod to the tranny....and that was all. NOTHING connecting to my throttle.

Ok...I found and bought a full and complete kick down linkage setup from a famous auction site. All original parts off of a Spirit with a 258 and 904. I am going to take a guess that I will need to replace the main spring based on its condition in the pictures.

Also, based on all of your input here, I am pleasantly surprised I have not fried my tranny yet...only the rear end and t-case  :-[  NOW, once it comes, should I try to tackle it myself or take it to my mechanic? He is an old school guy...he handles all of my drivability concerns I cannot figure out for myself. Or, perhaps, if you are weary of me or him....a specific tranny shop.

I am so looking forward to not manually shifting...you have no idea.

Thanks Nest!
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: Sorry Nest...One more question to my kickdown issue
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »
I DID IT! My car now downshifts, doesn't shift into 3rd at 18MPH, and drives beautifully.  I may need to adjust it slightly...if I take my foot off the gas at 25mph, it will slam itself into 3rd, so I might just have to make it shift slightly earlier...(I think).  But...none the less, thank you to everyone for the help. It drives like a real car now ;)
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »
Congrats it always feels good to solve a big issue and make your rig better.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
If anyone is interested, the return spring for the passing gear part number is J
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk