News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 06, 2024, 04:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Father's Eagle  (Read 9394 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
Re: My Father's Eagle
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
Thank you all for taking a look at it. I really appreciate EagleFreak for offering to come by and take a look. I will be out of town this weekend. Father's day is Sunday so I plan on spending it on the lake and camping. The engine ran strong after it was started and the body is in really good condition. I am going to sell a motorcycle so that I can put the money into this car. I just wanted to know if the $2000 I get for the bike would be enough to turn this thing into a daily driver. I will get some more pics soon. anyone know the towing capacity on these cars? After reading through several builds I am pretty excited that I could restore this beauty!

That's a really nice car your Dad left for you.  There is lots of good advice available on the forum but what I've found essential as a beginner mechanic is having someone that lives near you that can serve as your mentor and help you through things.  When most of us started out, it was easy enough to replace things if you knew what was wrong, and that is what I think is hardest for a new mechanic.  So someone knowledgable that you can talk things through with is invaluable.

Based on my own experience, $2000 should be able to get a lot done on your Eagle, but there is no guarantee that it will be enough.  I've had to do some major things like transmission rebuild ($700), transfer case rebuild ($600), and replace the engine ($300 engine off Craigslist, installed it at my mentor's house with him leading me through it).  My guess is you can do most everything you would need to unless you need to rebuild the engine (try to find a used one first) and painting the car.  Good luck, and welcome to the Nest!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
Wish I would've seen this, I was just camping down in Jasper last week and had a couple of days of nothing, I probably could've had that thing starting first turn, lol.  I hope you decide to keep it though, and like everyone has mentioned, there is plenty of help here.  But starting with your starting issue, try to pour just a few drops of gas down the carb first, if that gets it running, you will know where your issue is.  From there, you want to check the power of your fuel pump by removing the hose going into the single nipple side of the fuel filter and put it into a container(pop bottles work great), and then turn it over a few seconds, I would say 3-6 would suffice.  After that, you should have at least 1/2cup of fuel in the bottle, if so, you are in need of a carburetor rebuild or fuel filter replacement.  To check the filter, it's the same procedure, just removing the hose going into the carburetor instead.

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
WOW! That is the type of advice I really needed. A great place to start, I know where those items are under the hood (or at least I am sure that I can figure it out). I have some free time this weekend for me to tinker with it. I guess I should figure out how to move this thread to the project section as I begin work on my first Eagle! These steps seem simple enough for me to at least get it started. Once started, maybe I can move it to a garage somewhere instead of trying to work on it in the grass.

Prafeston

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
No need to have the thread moved. Just start a new thread in the Projects section.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »
Well,, I got to meet Jonathon and check out his Eagle today. It's definitely not a parts car. I don't think it's gonna take a whole lot to get it back on the road. When I got there he had 4 key rings full of keys and after about 20 minutes of trying, we could not find a single key that would work. I whipped out my keys and the door key from my 86 worked in his ignition.  :o It sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. I pulled the air cleaner to pour a little fuel in it and noticed the choke was open. I closed it with my hand, cranked it again and it started right up. It actually sounds really good. He's gonna start another thread soon with it's issues and progress.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 01:56:01 AM »
I agree, its defiantly far to nice to relegate to a parts car. The drive train components are still fairly plentiful, both used and new. The fluid leaking out could be as simple as a return line that got knocked off. With a good trans flush and a tune up that old bird might just fly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:58:54 AM by shanebo »
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 08:28:52 AM »
 :hello2: WAY TO GO Freek!!! Another Eagle saved. Glad to hear you were able to help. EGGselent job.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 06:57:04 PM »
I whipped out my keys and the door key from my 86 worked in his ignition.

That's really strange.  The door key from any Eagle shouldn't work in the ignition of a 1985 or newer Eagle.  It's a totally different cross-sectional profile between those keys.

His ignition cylinder, or perhaps whole column, must have been changed out at some point.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline kalve

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum an sorry to hear bout your dad's passing. As far as the car goes it depends on what all ir wrong with it as to what it will take to fix it. Once you get it running just look under it for any leaks an put it in gear an drive it round the property an check it again for leaks. As far as the power steering not working check the hoses an power steering pump an check all your fuses on the car some fuses might be blowed an that might be some of your problems. With it not starting check it with a good battery will the lights on the dash come on an will it turn over if not check your alt an starter if that aint it check your fuel pump an carb an make sure it is getting gas to the carb. With the trans not working right might be a cooling problem with the radiator or low on trans fluid try flushing the trans fluid out an replacing it. You can go to advance auto an they will check starters etc.. an put them on machines an tell you if they are good or not. I got a 85 Eagle wagon for $700 an the guy had not started or drove this car any in 8 years since 2004. I put new plugs an plug wires in it an new starter an belts an it started right up an all the fluids were low on it all together so far I got bout $1,600 in it after buying the car an getting it home was $1,000 just for that an I got now bout $600 in parts in it an it runs fine. But check everything I said an give it a tune up plugs wires etc an see if that help another thing is the solenoid & voltage regulator will keep it from starting to. Just check all that an take it one step at a time with a good frame an body its a good car. An if there was to much wrong with it your dad would have not put all this time an money into trying to fix it. What is the history on this car? How long did he have it an what was his plans for it?
64 T bird landau
70 Cougar Convertible Hurst 4 speed
74 F250 Crewcab shortbed
85 Eagle Wagon 4wd

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I've been meaning to call Jonathon and see what's going on with the Eagle. I'll do that today.

Offline kalve

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
no prob just trying to help way some on here helped me with mine
64 T bird landau
70 Cougar Convertible Hurst 4 speed
74 F250 Crewcab shortbed
85 Eagle Wagon 4wd

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 12:36:03 PM »
Hey EagleFreek, I am in Manchester, very close to you! We should have an Eagle meet in Tennessee sometime, know there is also a guy called TenneseeFarmer but Im not sure where he is

In fact you can come and help we work on mine anytime! (hint)

I sure apreciate all the help that is offered on this forum by everyone, I spent three hours on three bolts, and 4 bandaids for cuts and scrapes (strut rod bushing replacement) this past weekend, got somewhat discouraged at all the work I need to do to the Eagle and wavered in my comitment to finish it someday......., but then I got home and read some posts on this forum and it got me inspired to do more!

I hope we hear from the guy in Nashville who started this thread and hope he might still have his Eagle too

Thanks!
Rob C
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 02:13:26 PM »
Hey Rob, an Eagle meet sounds like a good idea. Manchester isn't that far from me. Tennessee Farmer is near Knoxville, which is a little bit of a drive, but that would be somewhat close to the Carolina  members. We'll have to start a new thread for that.
  I talked to Jonathon and I hope he is ok with me sharing this info. It looks like he has to sell the Eagle to satisfy some of his dad's creditors. He is trying to figure out if he can buy it and afford to fix it.

Offline chanticlair

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
I had started another post where I was working on the Eagle and had some pics of it up. You can find it here http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=39018.0

It is so difficult to read about everyone wanting to do a meet close to my area and yet Rick is right, due to my dad not actually having a will, my dad's assets need to be sold in order to satisfy creditors. I have asked my lawyer if I could purchase the car but as the administrator of the estate I have to prove that I sell the car for the most amout of money that I could get out of it or else my dad's creditors can come after me for his debts. If all my dad's assest would cover the costs of his bills this would not be an issue but I have to get a judge's approval of every sale (or show proof of trying to get the most out of each asset) On top of that I have had some issues with my dad's side of the family... but that's another story.

When I last worked on it, the battery was strong and the starter that eaglefreak gave me was installed. After replacing solenoid the car would start but the starter stayed engaged. I replaced a fuel line and that did not leak anymore. It has been a while since I worked on it but I think the last thing I did was some solenoid work around to get the car to start and the starter disengaged. It was determined that the replacement starter must be bad and my next step was to purchase another one. With the current one I could at least drive it enough to get it on a trailer and to a garage. (though I never got the chance)

I will let you know as the events unfolde. My lawyer wants me to have an auction and just put all my dad's assets in it. I do not want to do that but it would protect me from his creditors. If anyone here is slightly interested let me know. I may try and work on it again on Saturday but I hate to put more money into it if I am just going to have to seel it.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »
Sorry to her that Jonathan, I hope it works out, let us know if there is an auction or something, somebody will be interested I'm sure. I know I would come myself, I seem to have this strange problem with trying to save every AMC i find......

Rob c
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk