News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 30, 2024, 02:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vacumn canister on end of vacumn advance hose  (Read 2887 times)

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Vacumn canister on end of vacumn advance hose
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
Got a question I hope one of you can answer. Am in the process of replacing some vacumn lines and there is a six inch  long hose coming off my vacumn advance and on the end of this hose is a golf ball size plastic white and grey vacumn canister just hanging by the fuel pump. Right in the middle is a vacumn port that is open with no hose on it and right above this open port is another port that the vacumn advance is plugged into.Then on the back of this plastic canister is another vacumn port that has a hose that runs back into the harness on the firewall.Can someone tell me what this canister or check valve is and what vacumn line plugs into this open port.This is on a 86 wagon with the 258 six.I went and looked at my 84 with the same six but it does not have this gismo vacumn thingy.
ss
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: Vacumn canister on end of vacumn advance hose
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:00:34 PM »
How much (or little) remains of the factory emissions control vacuum system? A pic could really help solve your question, which is well-worded.

My guess is its a vacuum controlled switch to let the emissions system decide when to apply vacuum for the advance, or its a vacuum control/delay that either doesn't belong there or was somehow otherwise substituted for what might belong there.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:50:58 AM »
Sounds like someone crisscrossed hoses
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »
I believe this vacumn system to be one hundred percent original and complete to the best of my knowledge. I have compared it to my eighty four which I know is one hundred percent original and everything looks exactly the same except for this vacumn gixmo hanging of the vacumn hose, and it also apears to be orignal also. I know I can get a picture of it and would be very happy to do so cause I really have my doubts as how the vacumn advance can work with this open port which appears to have had a hose on it at one time or another. Getting the picture will be easy. Getting it on here is my problem.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
Posting pictures - -
This seems complicated, but after doing it a time or two, you’ll find that it isn’t all that difficult.
Most of us use free Photobucket accounts.
 www.photobucket.com
There are other picture hosting sites that will work.
Upload your pictures.  You can find directions and help on the web site.
For a single picture, in your Photobucket account, hover over the picture.  This brings up a menu.
Click on “img code”.  The URL will change to “copied”.
Go to the Forum and paste the URL into your thread.
For multiple pictures, check the box that shows up immediately under the picture when you hover over it.  Do this for all pictures you want to post.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Choose action”.
Click on “Generate link codes for selected”.
This takes you to another page.
Click on the third box down.  You will see a message that it has been copied.
Paste it into your thread.
Click on Preview, and if satisfied click on Post.

I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
OK guys here is the pictures of the vacumn thingy that is connected to my vacumn advance. Sure hope this works!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
That's a replacement vacuum delay valve.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk