News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 01:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BACK AGAIN - I WAS 90% WRONG. NEXT?  (Read 7416 times)

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: BACK AGAIN - I WAS 90% WRONG. NEXT?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »
Putting vacuum won't do much for you, you might get a pint or so, but most of the fluid won't make it past the pump without the torque converter spinning.  Best luck is to change filter and do the flush at a shop where they can run it.  With the flush machine, it takes the old fluid out as it pushed new fluid in while the machine and car are running.

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
     I got about a gallon of fluid from the "outlet"/front tube at the radiator using a hand held "MityVac".  Wanted to back flush cooler in radiator but couldn't because brass ELL {left side} on radiator was completely plugged.  Cleared it with drill bit and back flushed with the vac - lots of stuff.
     Replaced filter and pan and fluid.  Car went five miles before it gave out - lots of noise except in Park and no movement. Towed for third time.

In my view, the only positive aspect is that it seems that the trans works until it gets plugged up again.  The question is whether repeating this procedure it will clean itself out, or, is the trans shot.  If the latter, the car is shot. 

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 12:31:44 PM »
I'd check the Ell again. Mine was clogged twice after changing my tranny and running the flush through (now I have a leak at the fitting I have to fix)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
I'll do that.  It's easy to cross-thread those ELLs; I think it's steel to brass.  I just bought two trans filters so haven't given up yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk