News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 21, 2024, 04:03:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to these plugs tell you?  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
What to these plugs tell you?
« on: August 05, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
Changed the plugs and wires in the Eagle today. The old plugs were basic NGK's and were in for atleast 3 years and 30k or so miles. They all looked good on one side of the plug but the other half of each plug had tan looking crusty stuff on them. Tried to get a good photo but my camera doesn't do well that close up.

Anything to be concerned of or were these plugs in for too long?

Overall it ran great before with good MPG #'s, runs better now. :blob1:
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Re: What to these plugs tell you?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
There are many sites on the web that'll go into more detail but from the pictures, those are just normal, things are working ok inside your motor looking plugs (ones I just swapped out of my 83 looked just like that). Search for reading spark plugs and you'll get specifics.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
There are many sites on the web that'll go into more detail but from the pictures, those are just normal, things are working ok inside your motor looking plugs (ones I just swapped out of my 83 looked just like that). Search for reading spark plugs and you'll get specifics.

According to the plug guides online I've got ash deposits on all 6 plugs, other than that they look good. Going to try using some fuel additives from time to time and see if that helps.

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »
The tan deposits are normal for unleaded gasoline (especially).  I was going to suggest a fuel system conditioner used at least annually.  Techron is very good if you're going on a long trip and can use the whole tank of gas at once (it seems to be kind of corrosive if left to sit.)  Seafoam or Lucas are good if you wont be using the whole tank at once.  Remember to try and use 80% of the treated fuel before refilling to get the most benefit.  :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
The tan deposits are normal for unleaded gasoline (especially).  I was going to suggest a fuel system conditioner used at least annually.  Techron is very good if you're going on a long trip and can use the whole tank of gas at once (it seems to be kind of corrosive if left to sit.)  Seafoam or Lucas are good if you wont be using the whole tank at once.  Remember to try and use 80% of the treated fuel before refilling to get the most benefit.  :amc:

Thanks!

My photos really didn't show it but this is what all of the plugs looked like

I've always been a big fan of Lucas and Seafoam, I'll give the Techron a try and see how the Eagle responds to it.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
Actually, if you want a REALLY good system cleaner (with a bit of octane kicker) try Amsoil PI (Performance Improver) I was going to tear apart the BBD on my wagon and rebuild it but decided to try cleaning it first (it already runs Chevron gas most of the time) Cured the stall out issue I was having.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »
Actually, if you want a REALLY good system cleaner (with a bit of octane kicker) try Amsoil PI (Performance Improver) I was going to tear apart the BBD on my wagon and rebuild it but decided to try cleaning it first (it already runs Chevron gas most of the time) Cured the stall out issue I was having.

Is that something easily found in the parts store? Can't say I've ever heard of it but will keep an eye out for it. Luckily(knock on fake woodgrain dash) my BBD runs like a dream. One I've hear a lot of people swear by is the BG44K. I've only ever seen it on the west coast. Anybody try that one?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »
BG products have become scarce as hen's teeth out here now. The NAPA I worked at sells Amsoil stuff. If you go to http://amsoil.com they usually have dealers listed near you.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk