News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 03:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another weird noise  (Read 4897 times)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Another weird noise
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
So my Concord started making another weird noise. I'm pretty sure it's from the transmission. It's making a rattling noise at idle, no matter what gear it's in. Was running fine yesterday, then turned it off for a minute, when I restarted it, it was making this noise. I took the inspection cover off, and none of the teeth on the flexplate look damaged, also when the inspection plate is off, the noise is NOT any louder. Only thing I can think of is a torque converter issue, could it be coming loose? Car still drives fine, but I'm avoiding driving it as much as I can.

Here's a video, the noise is most audible at 36 seconds (but its there the whole time).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us5oZAwS4is&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:49:57 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Another weird noise
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
I too have a mystery rattle in the 84, have yet to pin point. Do you still have a catalytic converter in place? On mine I was leaning towards it being the culprit, the noise is only at low idle (or about to die, lol) and non metallic. Just a thought btw.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »
My concord has an exast rattle at idle. I never tried to fix it yet

Manitowoc WI

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
While it does have an exhaust leak, I believe this is a separate issue. Maybe it is just an exhaust leak, but it really sounds like its coming from the transmission.

Shaggimo, it does still have the catalytic converter, but the exhaust pipe does not seem to be ratting around. I grabbed it when the engine was idling, and there was very little to no vibration in the pipe.
Dan

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »
Good video for diagonosis/guesswork help. My vote is for a crack in the flexplate between the torque converter and the crankshaft. Its a common problem for older AMC/Jeep flexplates. Should have put it in gear to see if/show if the rattle gets louder when loaded up.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
Good video for diagonosis/guesswork help. My vote is for a crack in the flexplate between the torque converter and the crankshaft. Its a common problem for older AMC/Jeep flexplates. Should have put it in gear to see if/show if the rattle gets louder when loaded up.

Would that be noticeable to see with the inspection cover off? I'll upload another video tomorrow with it in gear.
Dan

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »
Here's some pics of the flexplate. What do you all think?

Dan

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:05:45 AM »
Yeah my vote is cracked plate. I have a spare but it's rusted and I'm not sure what condition it's really in but when your plate cracks 100% you're not going anywhere.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:41 AM »
2nd pic looks like a crack along where the bold is. Never any fun finding somethin like that, since it means a lot of heavy lifting is in the future. You might have a pro trans mechanic/shop have a look at it to confirm a crack, or you can confirm it yourself if you can feel along the bolt and can tell if there's something there where you can see the stains. If you can catch your fingernail on the surface, there's a crack there.

If you decide to tackle the transmission yourself, remember to remove/drain the pan before pulling it, or have a ton of rags handy for the spilled atf that will come pouring out. Nevermind, just have a ton of rags. It'll be messy. Also, the pain of removing the top bolts is eased with proper extensions and universals to reach waaaaay up there. Its a tight fit, the trans and the floor/firewall.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »
Well, I brought it to a trans shop on Thursday for the flex plate. They called me on Saturday morning, saying while the flex plate was cracked, it was not the source of the ticking noise. I dropped by the shop to take a look, and half of the torque converter neck snapped off. They said the trans needs to be rebuilt, and quoted me 1600......
Dan

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 07:15:32 AM »
I just paid $1500 to have a tranny from a '98 Olds rebuilt...and that was with me taking them the trans (already out of the car)...and that was a 'good deal' looking at what others charge.  If the price they gave you is with them removing it and reinstalling it, then I can see it.  Not saying it is easy to write that check, but I could see it costing that much.

If it is running and driving, then why does it need to be rebuilt?  Can't the converter and flex plate be replaced without a rebuild?

Other then the noise, how is it driving/shifting/etc...?
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
If it is running and driving, then why does it need to be rebuilt?  Can't the converter and flex plate be replaced without a rebuild?

Other then the noise, how is it driving/shifting/etc...?

That's what I thought too. Half of the converter neck snapped up, and they said that it got ground up by the transmission, so there was a lot of metal shaving in the trans, which they said was why it need to be rebuilt. It was driving and shifting fine. I would agree that it seems that just the converter and flex plate could probably be replaced. However, the tail shaft was loose, and it was leaking some transmission fluid, so that should be all fixed now too. Also, they are going to flush out the lines and the cooler.
Dan

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
Too bad you didn't have time to score an FSJ 727 to upgrade while they were doing it (direct swap)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk