News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 12:39:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First big trip of ownership.. what fluids to flush/top off?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
First big trip of ownership.. what fluids to flush/top off?
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:35:46 AM »
Now that my car is 95% together, it's time to deal with the transmission issue.  I plan on swapping it for a lower mileage, rebuilt unit.  Along with all this, it needs to be inspected.  I've found a person for each job, but alas, they're back where I grew up.  It's 3 hours away on the turnpike, or 4 hours using a series of highways/non-toll roads.  The car is, of course, registered and insured.

I plan to do an oil change as well as check the trans fluid and top off the coolant.  Is there anything else I should really worry about right off the bat?  I'd like to change the diff fluid and the transfer case fluid, but is it necessary to do before the trip?  Do I risk screwing it up and getting stuck here waiting for repair?

What do I use in the transfer case and differential?  Dexron III and 80w-90, resp.?

Also, are there any opinions on what route to take?  Should I avoid the turnpike due to the speeds I won't be able to achieve with my bum trans?

What else should I bring besides:
- Coolant
- Battery booster pack
- Jumper cables
- Socket set
- Screw drivers, other hand tools
- Spare alternator belt (replacing the old alt. tomorrow)
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: First big trip of ownership.. what fluids to flush/top off?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:37:07 AM »
In addition, how do I flush and refill the transfer case and the differentials?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 02:22:38 AM »
Differentials run 80w90.  To do the rear diff you need to pull off the cover to drain it, same with the front.  On the front diff with the engine cradle in the way it is typically necessary to pull the assembly out or suck the fluid out through the fill hole. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »
Brakes are good.  I probably won't be on the turnpike.  I did an oil change today, as well as replaced the alternator.  The bearings were exhausted.  Also replaced the battery and starter cables.  I picked up some 80w90, as well as a new diff gasket.  I'm having an awful squeal from the alternator, as I did with the old one.  See this thread for details: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=39971.0
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »
Make sure your trans fluid isn't milky or burnt smelling. Auto transmissions are killed 99% of the time by excessive heat or dirty fluid. Dirty fluid could mean broken down oil, clutch shavings, coolant contamination, etc. When you get a chance, or after you replace the trans, the best things you can do for an auto trans are install a sufficient external cooler(with new lines) separate from the radiator, fill with 100% synthetic fluid such as Royal Purple MaxATF or Amsoil (they won't break down), and put a shift kit in the valve body for best clutch engagement.

My trans fluid was milky with coolant and absolutely filled with scary dirt and residue. I now have a large trans cooler meant for heavy towing, 2nd stage shift kit, and new fluid/filter. Won't get synthetic until I rebuild it, due to cost, but it makes excellent firm shifts now without any problems. Also put a drain plug at the pan for a less messy job.

The transfer case is very simple to fill if you have a fluid transfer pump. Walmart has nice ones for $7, and it only takes a small amount of auto trans Dex fluid. Drain at the drain plug, fill at the fill plug. You could even use synthetic here for added protection, not as bad as the 10+ qts in the trans.

Finally, it is very important to make sure the engine cooling system is in good shape. To do this, you can flush the radiator, add new 50/50 coolant, and put in something like Royal Purple Purple Ice additive. This won't hurt the system at all, but it helps keep things cool. You also need to be sure that the temp gauge is performing correctly, as it is the only thing warning of failure. Check thoroughly for leaks all around.

These things may not be totally necessary before the trip, but it's at least good to eliminate leaks and have good, clean fluid. Definitely look into all new fluids soon though. If you've already made the trip, I hope it went well!
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
Oh yeah, and it's a good idea to keep a small fire extinguisher in there just in case  ;D
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk