News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 21, 2024, 01:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How the rally package should have been done, on non-ac cars  (Read 6854 times)

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
How the rally package should have been done, on non-ac cars
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:47:30 AM »
Just finished putting a cluster in, going off an idea I've had for quite a while, and it ate and ate away at me until i had to do something about it (well, that and I found a job, so I can), and, for teh most part, I did. I will be getting another dash bezel/trim piece and redoing it a bit so everything fits flush.

My puppy Beau copiloting...

A few things to note: It is a hack job right now, I busted my bezel up pretty good trying to pull it back without removing my main cluster (which is a HUGE pain because of my vss on the back of the speedo). A boost gauge is eventually going to fill that left opening :). Gauges are tilted back a bit so they're easier to see. I will have more detailed pictures of gauge sending unit routing, etc tomorrow, it was cake. I will eventually post a writeup in my project thread, once I get a new dash bezel/trim/whateveryoucallit and clean everything up... a lot.

First gauge is oil temp, second is oil pressure, and third is  voltage.So yeah, ENORMOUS storage room in center console, and gauges placed WHERE THEY SHOULD be, viewable by the driver without having to divert their eyes all the way down to their carpet. That's one of the few minor things i wish AMC had done better with, the only use gauges serve that are that far away from the bottom of the windshield is parking lot diagnosis. But, that's just my opinion, and I have more of them than I generally need :P When I get another dash bezel, I will trim some more off the bottom and make sure I take care to make the bezel and cluster fit flush and as seamless as possible with each other.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:58:06 PM by tougeagle »
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: How the rally package should have been done, on non-ac cars
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
Perfect spot for non A/C cars.  Great Job!
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:36:56 PM »
Beautiful...  :)

...and a doggy! Man's best friend... how cute lol
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:05:37 PM »
Location of the sending units:
oil temp, just above oil filter fitting, there is a 5/16 female pipe plug that has to be removed, you will need a tool kit from harbor freight in order to remove it, they're only 15 bucks. The adapter needed for the sender is included in the gauge kit.

Oil pressure sending unit. I bought copper tubing to use instead of plastic, to make the install cleaner instead of a bunch of coiled tubing, and it was missing a ferrule. Fittings are supplied in the kit. You will lose your oil pressure idiot light, unless you pick up a two way adapter or tee of some sort. Since the gauges are in easy view and arranged so needle movement is in peripheral vision, it wouldn't take long to notice something wrong.

Voltage is easy, one wire goes to an ignition on terminal in the fuse panel, use a test light to find it. Other wire goes from gauge to a good ground.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:16:52 PM by tougeagle »

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:56:47 AM »
That looks  :censored: awesome dude!! Did you relocate you 4x4 switch?
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »
That looks  :censored: awesome dude!! Did you relocate you 4x4 switch?

I removed the 4x4 switch assembly entirely, I plan to put a bank of switches fo driving lights in its place.

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »
By the looks of my vaccum lines I may just manually lock the thing in 4x and forget it. I really dislike dealing with vacuum hoses.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:15:02 AM »
Nice job,hadn't thought about it but yeah looking way down to the shifter for a guage reading while driving may not be a good thing.I always have a pup riding with me.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 04:41:02 AM »
By the looks of my vaccum lines I may just manually lock the thing in 4x and forget it. I really dislike dealing with vacuum hoses.
I actually just finished swapping to a non disconnect front that I've had for a while from a parts car,n much easier to work around. Though, I had to drive home in RWD to get my straps and bolts since i did not relocate the u-bolt yoke, was a bit more power available it felt like. If anything happens to this transfer case I'm going to a 242 or 129

What's your 'sona?

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »
I've had this same idea since the day I bought my Eagle... and I think I'm going to start on it this weekend.

Thanks for the further inspiration!

Any more recent pictures?

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »
I've had this same idea since the day I bought my Eagle... and I think I'm going to start on it this weekend.

Thanks for the further inspiration!

Any more recent pictures?
Tougeagle hasn't been on here since September last year. I believe he's sold his Eagle to another member on this forum. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 03:07:51 AM »
That's too bad, I guess I'll have to take my own pictures  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk