News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 09:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New clutch for the T5, now the car won't move  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
New clutch for the T5, now the car won't move
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »
Working on a buddy's Eagle with the T5. Did everything by the book and now we can't get the car in gear while it's running. If we stick the car in gear and try to start it the car will lurch forward. We did disconnect the clutch line then bled the heck out of it after it was all back together.

Any ideas on what went wrong?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:07:49 PM by Zoro »
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: New clutch for the T5, now the car won't mfter it was all back togetherove
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »
How does the clutch pedal feel? If it doesn't feel normal, it might need some more bleeding. I had a similar situation one time with a manual transmission vehicle The replacement clutch disc was a little too thick and I had to shim the pressure plate to get the clutch to release.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: New clutch for the T5, now the car won't mfter it was all back togetherove
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
How does the clutch pedal feel? If it doesn't feel normal, it might need some more bleeding. I had a similar situation one time with a manual transmission vehicle The replacement clutch disc was a little too thick and I had to shim the pressure plate to get the clutch to release.

The pedal feels normal which is what has me stumped.

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: New clutch for the T5, now the car won't move
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »
ahhh, the pain that is a T5 clutch blled issue...OK, I ran into the same issue 15 years ago on my SX/4....here's how I corrected it (I've posted this a BUNCH of time, but it never gets old... ;))

Step 1: Make sure that screwed up tube AMC called a master resevoir is full.
2) Get under the car...use a broomstick, pipe or other device to SLOWLY push the clutch fork (and in turn, the slave cyl piston) forward, so the slave piston bottoms in it's bore.  Hold it there, using the stick, pipe, etc to brace against the floor or x-member.
3) (this step requires an octopus, or 2-3 people-your choice) while under the car, open the bleeder on the slave cyl, then have assistant 1 SLOWLY push the clutch pedal down.  The location of the bleeder seems to resist getting all the air out any other way....once the pedal is down fully, close the bleeder.
4) Before assistant 1 releases pedal, either come up, or have assistant 2 monitor the fluid level in the "reservoir" as assistant 1 releases the pedal.  That tube won't have enough fluid to refill the bore of the master & slave, so you've gotta fill it as the pedal is released.  ALSO, remove the brace you shoved up against the fork...again, monitor the fluid level, cause it's gonna drop as the piston is allowed to travel outward....

It sounds like it's a bigger pain than it is...it takes 10-15 minutes to complete & HOPEFULLY you'll have a good pedal at the end....
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »
I like your bleeding proceedure T5258. That all makes scence. Toro you did mention the pedal feels normal?  Is that saying there is resistance at the pedal? If T5258s proceedure doesn't work which I believe should work. Only hoping the disc isn't in backwards.

73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
I can only take a little credit for the procedure....the factory TSM doesn't say anything about pushing the slave piston back into its bore....I got that from a Clymers (I think) that I had picked up LONG before I had my Eagle...it made note to do that, which is how I finally got a pedal back in my SX/4 after doing a clutch.....
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
ahhh, the pain that is a T5 clutch blled issue...OK, I ran into the same issue 15 years ago on my SX/4....here's how I corrected it (I've posted this a BUNCH of time, but it never gets old... ;))

Step 1: Make sure that screwed up tube AMC called a master resevoir is full.
2) Get under the car...use a broomstick, pipe or other device to SLOWLY push the clutch fork (and in turn, the slave cyl piston) forward, so the slave piston bottoms in it's bore.  Hold it there, using the stick, pipe, etc to brace against the floor or x-member.
3) (this step requires an octopus, or 2-3 people-your choice) while under the car, open the bleeder on the slave cyl, then have assistant 1 SLOWLY push the clutch pedal down.  The location of the bleeder seems to resist getting all the air out any other way....once the pedal is down fully, close the bleeder.
4) Before assistant 1 releases pedal, either come up, or have assistant 2 monitor the fluid level in the "reservoir" as assistant 1 releases the pedal.  That tube won't have enough fluid to refill the bore of the master & slave, so you've gotta fill it as the pedal is released.  ALSO, remove the brace you shoved up against the fork...again, monitor the fluid level, cause it's gonna drop as the piston is allowed to travel outward....

It sounds like it's a bigger pain than it is...it takes 10-15 minutes to complete & HOPEFULLY you'll have a good pedal at the end....

Will give that a shot, good egg to you

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
I like your bleeding proceedure T5258. That all makes scence. Toro you did mention the pedal feels normal?  Is that saying there is resistance at the pedal? If T5258s proceedure doesn't work which I believe should work. Only hoping the disc isn't in backwards.

Pedal does feel normal, don't think the disc went in backwards.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »
I had the same problem recently. In my case I installed a slave cylinder from a 258 into an Iron Duke. The casting and cylinder itself is identical, but the length of the pushrod is different. Try pulling out the new pushrod and sliding in your old pushrod. Also if you're missing the plastic nose piece your pushrod won't be long enough to disengage the clutch.

Its also possible that the dimensions of your pressure plate or throwout bearing are slightly off but still functional. Try using a ratchet strap to the transmission to pull the throwout fork back. Start the car and see if the clutch is disengaged. Release the strap. The clutch should be engaged and the car should lurch forward with the starter. If everything works correctly its your pushrod that is the wrong length. You may need to make a custom pushrod or find an adjustor. My Red SX4 needed an adjuster and it came with it, I don't know where to buy one. It replaced the plastic nose piece with a metal piece that threaded bigger or smaller. You might be able to cut down a CJ or Spirit mechanical pushrod, because those did have an adjustor built in.

I use a ratchet strap to the front crossmember instead of a broom stick. Its alot easier to adjust and install. The ratchet strap holds the clutch release fork stationary, because you don't build up enough pressure as you push the pedal to evacuate the air and fluid without it.

If you have the tube resevoir, you should replace it immediately. No joke, its not worth it. I've only ever had one with a tube. It cracked and dumped all the fluid, leaving me stuck in third gear while driving. I killed the ignition and swerved up and over an enbankment to keep from hitting the car in front of me. Only a few 6 cylinders had those dang tubes, some 6 cylinders and all Iron Dukes had a respectable resevoir. (Iron Duke Spirits had it too). If you can't find an original resevoir you can use a Wilwood resevoir.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:11:33 AM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
Thanks for the tip capt, I believe the one on this car is the plastic tube type. Gonna try that ratchet strap trick.

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »
I'm no AMC mechanic yet, but if you put the clutch disk in backwards in a 57 chevy, it will not disengage. They were completely manual with no hyd assist.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »
For the heck of it we ended up putting in another T5 we had laying around, the car drives great now. The old tranny was missing 2nd gear so that was the main reason for the swap. Also tore the clutch down and put it back in, the disc was installed correctly. We used the bleeding techniques from this thread and got great results....Thanks for all the help guys!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 12:40:04 PM »
Good news!
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk