News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 22, 2024, 10:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converting from AT to 5-speed  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Stinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Converting from AT to 5-speed
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »
We own an '82 Eagle equipped with AT.  We're thinking about converting it to a manual.  Is it a difficult job? What tranny should we use?  Any help would be appreciated.
'71 Hornet SC 360
Pres., Southern Nevada AMC Club
Boulder City, NV

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Converting from AT to 5-speed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:55:25 AM »
It's only difficult if you haven't done it before. I have countless problems with my Torqueflite automatic suddenly blowing up on me in places where it gets potentially deadly. I'm glad Chrysler never made manuals or that would probably try to kill me too. I want to suggest a Borg Warner T-5 but you'll never find one. If you do, it's probably going to be from a Comanche or Mustang and those don't have the 4WD housing that we need in our Eagles. I want one really badly but I don't think it's ever going to happen. :/

The Aisin Warner 15 is probably what we'll both eventually pick from the scrapyards after poking around behind all the 4L engines in Cherokees. It's a bit more durable and I think it's a great temporary package but it needs the skinny flywheel from a 4L engine and unless the plan is to move on to the ideal NV3550, it's probably not worth the efforts.

The NV4500 might work too but I wouldn't want to put that heavy superman thing in a stock Eagle. If I went to this the way my car is now, I'd give my stock AM differential about 3 hours before it randomly blows up due to sudden excessive wear. Honestly it's a wonder it has lasted this long.

If you just want to go to a manual and get the logistics figured out later like I do, avoid the Aisin Warner 5, four speeds like the Borg Warner T-18, anything Tremec (T-176...) and for God sakes if you ever find an SR4 in the junkyard, LEAVE IT! LEAVE IT! LEAVE IT! It belongs there. I notice you're a Nevada guy and I'm guessing somewhere near Carson City. If you feel like checking out Sacramento, you might have some miraculous luck when poking around the Rancho Cordova picking yards and factories. I want to call it a classic graveyard but everything there is either perma-scrapped or beautifully restored. Not sure if they know anything about Eagles but I know one has been sitting in their yard for months and they might be able to figure something out if you ask them about it.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:53:24 AM »
A T5 from a Jeep CJ is the easiest to find and the cheapest. I've bought 4 of them off Craigslist for less than 150 dollars. A professionally rebuilt unit is ready off the shelf for 600 dollars. They hold up just find behind normal driving conditions. The AX15 is also rather easy to find. The hardest part of the conversion is finding a set of pedals. You can make the pedals from an XJ work. Everything you need to know is here on the nest if you look for it.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=27.0

Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
I also have seen a few CJ T5's in the 150 range. Finding a bellhousing can be hard sometimes though.

Also as far as I know, a T5 never came in a Comanche just the Asin Warners and Peugeots.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk