News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 21, 2024, 04:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smaller cam?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Smaller cam?
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:57:26 AM »
I have the stock AMC cam in my 258 and I'm finally rebuilding the spare. I'm thinking about going to a REALLY small 240H Comp Cam in the near future. Extreme specs like 240/248 duration make me a little uneasy but I'm willing to bet it's very streetable. I've decided that if I need more low end torque I'll be using a low gear transfer case to do it. 95% of the time this bird is on the freeway doing completely insane distance trips and it's unusual for me to tow anything anyway so I think it's a pretty good idea. There may be the rare day where I'm finally towing a Javelin or FSJ or something but I figure I'll have a low gear transfer case by then too. I have a feeling this sounds completely ridiculous to most of you. If it is, let me know. ::)
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Smaller cam?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:15:55 AM »
I wouldn't call that a small cam. It would be a significant improvent over stock. Juzt don't use the Comp Cam springs if you want the cam to last. Stock springs will be fine.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »
Which ones? I have the 258 head but I intend to rebuild a 242 head I pulled last month and replace the rockers and valves.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
 and springs are pretty close. I'd run the ones with the least miles or have never been overheated. You need to pull the head to do the cam anyways.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk