News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:29:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Brake Upgrades?  (Read 3479 times)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Front Brake Upgrades?
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
Has anyone found a good upgrade to the front brakes, i.e. larger rotors & multiple piston calipers?  Something like the WJ rotors or Ford Explorer SportTrac rotors, seems like they are each about 1" larger diameter and both have been used on Jeep D30's, I realize the Eagles front end is different, but surely there's something that can be done...

Doc

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
Re: Front Brake Upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »
Without lots of fabrication I doubt it.  The knuckle is totally unique from the Jeeps with a 100% unrelated caliper bracket. The hat depth is unique from the Jeeps with the same pattern as well, so finding the right rotor could be fun.

I'd run a high quality rotor and pad and call it a day, myself. Unless you're rallying or auto crossing or something and the payoff could be worth it.
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »
I tried to see if dual piston calipers from a Mustang would fit a few years ago. It seemed like it would just take some bracket fabrication but then you may have to go with larger wheels.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »
Without lots of fabrication I doubt it.  The knuckle is totally unique from the Jeeps with a 100% unrelated caliper bracket. The hat depth is unique from the Jeeps with the same pattern as well, so finding the right rotor could be fun.

Actually the rotors are the exact same as the early XJ's, but same doesn't really get me much, guess I'll have to look into figuring it out when I get that far down the list of "needs"

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »
Depending on year, 80-81 share calipers with a F100 and 82+ share calipers with Jeep Wagoneers, Comanches, XJ and others. My thoughts are to upgrade the booster to a dual diaphragm or hydroboost.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:43:35 PM »
I'm upgrading the booster and I will look into upgrading the calipers/rotors with ZJ brakes (I have the parts leftover from a '93 I parted)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk